• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Registering Deuce in CA - US Fed Cert Label

rsbanker

Registered deuce owners in CA read on...(and others too if you want to monitor how messy CA can be when it comes to registering a deuce)

I have an appointment with the CHP on June 18 because my 1976 M35A2 did not have a US FEDERAL CERTIFICATION LABEL on it as expected by the DMV clerk for vehicles 1970 and newer (per the standard VERIFICATION OF VEHICLE form 343). So far and with some gentle guidance they've figured how to do a historical vehicle registration, given me no demands for weight fees, are *somewhat* happy with the VIN verification (although the SF97 got it and the mileage wrong). This is hopefully the final test I have to pass to get it registered.

The options on the form provided are:
1-Agrees with VIN
2-Disagrees with VIN
3-Illegible\Damaged
4-Missing
5-None-NA
6-See REMARKS.

The DMV clerk chose #5 and sent me off to CHP for an appointment.

Other options in a seperate but related field are:
1-Vehicle complies with US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (US FMVSS)
2-Lable indicates name of vehicle importer (enter name of importer in REMARKS below)
3-Vehicle complies with safety requirements of a country other than the US.

Has anyone run into this requirement before in registering a vehicle in CA and if so, what line worked in getting it past this check box...I want to scout out my options and walk in as prepared as possible in hopes I have a sympathetic CHP officer.

Thanks,

Hammer

Two times that I did it, I used opposite approaches.
First time was "it was built for the military, it MUST meet those standards"
Second time "It was for the military, it was exempt from those standards".
Both lines worked, but even the CHP officers were a little stumped.

Ok, so what lines have you other guys used? I will need to do this again on my next 5 ton.

Hmm...not really ever had to answer those questions. Usually SF97 (filled out by myself and submitted to GL with the correct info that matched the truck) and vin verification worked. I never had to have CHP check any of my military stuff. I think others will chime in but...you need to educate the DMV with much info. That means you need to do most of the research and make sure you dont let them back you down thinking they know, usually they dont.

Search "california" and "registration" and you should find a lot of info that could help. Just hope those outside CA dont chime in about how much they hate CA or why they dont live here anymore.

There are many of us regististered here in CA loving thier vehicles.

Good Luck!!!!

rsbanker

Thanks for the info so far. I did a search but came up with nothing on this specific topic (lots on DMV horror stories though, which is why I'm trying to be proactive on this).

I appreciate the input - keep it up!

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't run into any serious problems, but mine is a 66. The only thing the DMV inspector said (I didn't use CHP - I drove it right to the DMV) was ANYTHING with less than 7500 miles needed a sticker. Who knows where she pulled that from? I don't have the DMV manual in front of me, but if you stay calm and just ask to speak to a supervisor if they can't figure it out, you'll get it done. In 1970 the military didn't give a damn about CA emmisions laws and I'm pretty sure they still don't.

Even with all the DMV hassles, CA is a GREAT place to live. :) I wish more people would get POed and leave. LOL

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In 1970 the military didn't give a damn about CA emmisions laws and I'm pretty sure they still don't.

Well, I did see an engine data plate on an engine..an LDT 465 made in 1980, in a '68 at the junk yard that DID have the verbage "Meets US EPA emission standards for a mediun duty diesel engine"
When I go back next time, i'm gonna bag it and search for others.

rsbanker

Mine's got a LDT 465 from '88. It has a sticker stating " This vehicle is exempt from the prohibitions of the Clean Air Act as amended for the purpose of National Security". I wish I had the sticker you referenced...I doubt I can convince the CHP it's still in it's National Security role (inactive reserves, maybe...).

rsbanker

Met with the CHP today. The officer was completely cool about the lack of Fed Cert Label - did a quick VIN check and passed it with flying colors. Went back to DMV with all the signed paperwork and the woman there was equally cool. She suggested a high probabiity that my paperwork could get lost in Sacramento (it needs to go there because I'm registering as a Historical vehicle) so she made copies of everything and gave me a temp license until E\O August. Overall a pretty good day at DMV\CHP. Took less than 30 minutes. Maybe the CA budget cuts are keeping all the good ones around....

rsbanker

Oh, and to clarify another point. The CHP officer was not at all concerned about how much smog came out of my pipes (no comments please) and was only concerned that the VIN on the Fed label match the VIN on my truck. I thought this was an effort to isolate offensive smoggers when it was really just a VIN verification step. To match the VIN on my dash placard with a 2ndary to back it up, I sent him to the LF wheel well to look at the frame and that was all he needed.

Maybe some things really are that easy...

And for another curiosity, I first went to USAA to insure my vehicle on-line. After entering my VIN in the application USAA listed my AMGeneral as a FIAT. I went to Progressive instead and they seem to know what a M35 is so they got my business. A FIAT......

Snarky

Oh, and to clarify another point. The CHP officer was not at all concerned about how much smog came out of my pipes (no comments please) and was only concerned that the VIN on the Fed label match the VIN on my truck. I thought this was an effort to isolate offensive smoggers when it was really just a VIN verification step. To match the VIN on my dash placard with a 2ndary to back it up, I sent him to the LF wheel well to look at the frame and that was all he needed.

Maybe some things really are that easy...

And for another curiosity, I first went to USAA to insure my vehicle on-line. After entering my VIN in the application USAA listed my AMGeneral as a FIAT. I went to Progressive instead and they seem to know what a M35 is so they got my business. A FIAT......
"Sir, thats an impressive FIAT you have there... I didn't know they made a 6x6."

Jetnoise400

"Sir, thats an impressive FIAT you have there... I didn't know they made a 6x6."
I recently discovered that I have a Fiat Ram 2500 4x4 pickup with a 5.9 Cummins TD, and I really like that truck. It tows MV projects like nobody's business! If the 4x4 Fiats are that good, the 6x6 units must be spectacular! rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks