• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Registering in Colorado

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have an M1102 trailer that I want to register in Colorado. Anyone here from Colorado done this? I have a VIN inspection set for September but want to make sure I have the rest of my ducks in a row.
A lot of it depends on what is on your Title or Bill of Sale. Most departments of motor vehicles seem to lump these into the "Utility Trailer" and that helps the former military vehicle blend into the woodwork (so to speak). If they happen to ask you, utility is the key. You wouldn't be telling a lie either...

yppej

I live in CO and just purchased a HMMWV...and was told by the DMV it could not be driven on the CO roads. After doing research and finding various post (such as this), I am still confused as to whether an non-CO plated HMMWV can be driven on the roads (using the Montana method). Any thoughts or personal experiences??

M1165A1

There is a lot of nonsense in this thread about Montana registration insurance and LLC ownership so let me set the record straight.

1. A sole asset LLC that owns a vehicle in Montana is absolutely legitimate and will be respected by courts if you are sued. Unfortunately the driver of the vehicle is also personally liable for any accident, so LLC ownership does not protect against being sued.

2. Your insurance is perfectly valid as long as you disclose properly to your insurance company. Example: American Collectors. They will insurance you personally for a vehicle belonging a Montana LLC and garaged in a different state which garage state becomes listed in the policy as the location of the vehicle. (And all drivers are individually listed as named insured.) I’ve read that policy from front to back and the coverage is absolutely good under these facts. But word of caution, nobody except listed drivers may operate the vehicle.

3. I have seen lots and lots of Montana plates in Colorado, including on HMMWVs. Far more than can be explained by tourists from the Big Sky state coming for skiing and weed.

Disclaimer: This isn’t legal advice, it’s free internet advice, you shouldn’t rely on it as the author may be a maniac, and no attorney client relationship is formed from you reading or responding to this post. If you want something you can bank on, then you will have to hire a local lawyer on your own dime and get a written opinion.

therooster2001

After 3 years of hiding in plain sight, I think the DMV caught on. I was trying to renew online and got a different message that I was unable to renew and to contact DMV. Trying to make a difficult decision to sell it, or just live with off road and potential hassles down the line. I have a clear Colorado title for now. Thoughts? I was hoping this nonsense would go away. Also hassling with how do I title this if I owned property in another state, and just leave it there. Think the complication is that Colorado is my primary. Ive gone rounds with the county office on getting a car driven in another county titled to that county, while I live in another. They told me Tax and emissions fraud. This place is killing me.

ryolse

Didn't CO with most states not only stop titling the HMMWV around 2019, but also pulled the ones they did title after AMG released this letter

Per Colorado DMV website

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter

therooster2001

Didn't CO with most states not only stop titling the HMMWV around 2019, but also pulled the ones they did title after AMG released this letter

Per Colorado DMV website
They were separate events. A CO senator tried to get it passed and the opposite political spectrum gutted the bill and reversed it. Other states actually passed similar bills allowing them around the same time, like Oklahoma. The AM general is as stated above, which is awkward timing and honestly I can’t see why they even put it out there. Either way I still can’t drive a military vehicle on the roads here. Booo….

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
What a bunch of BS is all I got to say. The last sentence should make owners feel good about governmental control.
" The DMV apologizes for any inconvenience."

What a way to start the day. CAMO

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks