• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Registering New CUCV in calif

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the M1009 registered last week, What a PITA! Finally got them realize that the Invoice is the Bill oF Sale......Or So I thought.

I got a call Today saying DMV Called Gov Liq and they want me to go through the BS of having to get the SF97. Isn,t that great of Gov Liq to tell the DMV Gal I need to pay them 60.00.....I am as ticked off as they come. Not to mention the people at my DMV are just so Darn Stupid. They did the VIN verification and issued me plates, I paid my money and walked out....Now this. The Supervisor called and said They could not verify the VIN !

I asked them what if I bought the vehicle from a person outside the state and the Title from that state was lost? It's a Legitimate argument...Do a statement of fact and then do the VIN verification and issue new plates,Title...etc. I have doen this with MB and GPW jeeps that have no title.
Anyone in Cali have any ideas?

dilvoy

Because you have shown them that it is a vehicle purchased from the Federal Govt.they want to see the SF97. There is a Federal Statute or Law that states something to the effect that a State can't issue a new title to a former Fed vehicle unless the SF97 is present. Silly me, I diden't note the number of the statute, but It is there to control theft. Some have been lucky and not needed the 97, but they were not following the law. $60 is not that bad to pay for the 97. If you know a cop that has the certification for vehicle vin inspection, you are good to go or just go to a CHP station and ask for Officers Baker and Poncherello. :D

M1028A1ShelterCarrier

I went to the DMV today to register two M1030B1 and they said I have to have a 97 or a insurance bond to register them. So now I filled out a GL request for the 97 and agreed to pay $60. My question is, even though the auction description stated "no 97 or docs will be given" will they give me a 97 for $60 and whats the time frame?

redwolf3

Hey man, I know how you feel. I purchased an M1009 about 4 years (and just recently re-acquired it). In my case, I didn't need the SF97 because I purchased it from someone with a dealer license in Alb New Mexico. Although, CA didn't recognize them.

In my case, they just made me fill out a statement of facts and show them the vehicle and I was on my merry way. It sounds like you are getting held up because of GOV LIQ and their association with the government. Good luck with that.

All I can say is, the DMV is one of the most Disorganized government agencies I know of. I can call in to get suggestions of how to work around a problem like this and get 5 different answers from 5 different people, and in the end none of them work out until I go in. My suggestion would be to try and handle as much of it in person, or you'll easily be wasting 2x more time on it.

BKinzey

Yep, try to be nice while they pile on the abuse.

I got a little testy finally after the woman with the heavy russian-cech accent didn't understand sentence structure. I ask for her Supervisor who's first comment to me was "I don't need you hassling my employees" then she glanced at the paragraph and parroted what her underling told her.

Then she refused to make a copy of the law section referenced or even let me look at the book to hand write it down!

I went home found the section on the internet and called Sacramento and got them to confirm my finding. Returned the next day, waited in line again, put up with some snootyness and "You again" attitudes and then waited for them to call Sacramento.

Of course no apology for lack of reading comprehension but some lame excuse. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a call back today...there gonna let it go through just this once. No More after this.
The statute does says somewhere any ex-US Goverment Vehicle must have the SF 97.

Oh....I was nice to them...that is why i got this through I suspect.

BKinzey

Am I missing something here? The SF 97 is to show GL can legally sell the vehicle correct? I don't see how GL can charge you for that. What's next? They pull off the VIN tags and sell them seperately?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks