• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Registering newer unimogs in Cali

ronnyek

I'm finding a lot of information that's a bit old, but implying that stuff newer than a 404 are very difficult if not straight up not legal for sale in California. I'm curious as to why this might be. Emissions, or DOT stuff? Seems like if it was a diesel u1300, it'd technically be 80's diesel which was smog exempt... but sounds like thats not the case.

Is there a reasonable path to making something newer than a 404 legal for driving on the road? I've evaluated and researched a lot of non American military trucks and kinda had my heart set on a diesel mog.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well lets see here your first problem is you looking for a OMG PLEASE NO a Diesel engine in CA, ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL OUR PLANET????? Sorry I could not resist Ronnyek. The first and only question I will ask you is will this truck be commercially licensed? If the answer to THIS question is YES, forget it because it WONT HAPPEN! The DOT will not even look at your application unless the truck is a 2008 or newer if its a commercial truck with a diesel engine! If the truck is NOT going to be commercially used and it will be licensed for NON-COMMERCIAL ONLY use then you should have NO problems at all, just work your way through the idiots at DOT and find somebody who knows what their own laws are and you will have no problem. And by the way I have a U1300L and its one of the greatest military truck I have ever owned.
Good luck
Karl

ronnyek

No it wouldn't be commercial... it'd be something I'd just tinker with and drive... but I get the impression that it actually is worse than that in Cali.

U1300/u1500 something right in there somewhere would be awesome... I just feel like there's that chance Cali is going to want a new motor or something. I don't know... maybe the closest to the unimog I'll be able to legally pull off is a gas Jeep. :-(

saddamsnightmare

June 2nd, 2016.

;)
Remember, if the U1300L is 25 years or older, the safety and emissions rules for the year of construction would apply. Also remember Ahhhhnold got in a more modern Unimog by uprating it to Cali CARB standards, perhaps you would buy his, as it is for sale........

quickfarms

Your problem is you are calling it Cali!

California will no longer register a truck non commercial.

Trucks are registered by weight.

Historic may be an option if it is old enough and you can live with the restrictions.

Another option is to convert it to a house car.

Lots of incorrect information that will bite you in he ass here in CA.

Yes there are always "ways" around the rules. Some actually quite legit such as the DMV employee incorrectly filling out the vin verification form.......however if you are looking for information to base the purchase of a vehicle on, I would go for the facts.

#1 - Currently if the Unimog is a 1979 or older model year diesel, it is legal to put on the road in CA.

#2 - If the vehicle is currently CA titled and Registered and HAS BEEN IN THE SYSTEM WITH A TITLE FOR AT LEAST 6 MONTHS, you are PROBABLY good to go.

#3 - If the vehicle has been issued an SF97 by the Federal Government, it more than likely will go on the road. We personally have done 2-3 of these recently, but also dealt with a customer who had his bounced as well.

#4 - If the Unimog has a Federal EPA certification label on the Valve Cover, it should be accepted.

In reality, a vast majority of the Unimogs in the United States fall under the "Used Direct Import Vehicle" ie gray market. A gray market diesel Unimog is not likely to be registered in CA as it has not had an EPA or CARB certification. Carefully read the CA Vin Verification Form. Specifically look at sections 6 and 8 on the Reg 31 form. Based upon how those sections are filled out will either send your truck to CARB **** or they will be incorrectly filled out and make it thru the review/issue stage at DMV. If it does make it thru, wait at least 6 months prior to popping a cold one, as it can take at least that long for DMV/CARB to coordinate and send the letter revoking your title/registration.

Standard diesel smog does NOT MEAN JACK......the information put out is not intended to apply to Used Direct Import Vehicles. If you want good night time reading dig into the CA health and safety codes that regulate grey market vehicles.

More big picture info here: http://www.arb.ca.gov/html/master_faqs/vehicle_faqs/greymarket_cars_faq.htm
scroll down to the exemptions section for the diesel info.

We are a licensed and bonded CA Vehicle Dealer in the Bay Area since 2001 with approximately 100K in CARB litigation in regards to Unimogs and Pinzgauers. Bottom line, they do not want these vehicles on the road in CA. We had some fun importing a Unimog for a CA Celebrity/Politician.......if anyone could have gamed the system it was him......we titled and registered the Unimog to a ranch in Idaho. Looked nice running around Malibu with those Idaho plates! :)

A majority of the newer Unimogs on the road in CA, are currently running out of state plates and tags. That comes with it's own ramifications......but a Montana vehicle LLC is one option we are seeing a LOT of recently.

Cheers,

Scott

ppollioni

It is the California air resources board (CARB) that makes the trucks illegal in California if they are diesel older than 2010 and have a GVW of over 14000lbs. I believe the 404's are legal because their GVW is lower than 14000lbs.

I would love to be wrong the only thing stopping me from buying a 1300 is I don't believe I can register it in California.

I have talked to the DOT and CARB and both have said it does not matter if it is a commercial or personal use vehicle. And if it is registered out-of-state and you drive it within California you are subject to a $1000 fine per day.

Last edited:

Brents347

Well, as of about 7/1/17, I have had my FLU registered in CA. No revocation letter yet. Getting ready to crack a cold one on that!

As as stated previously, it was registered based on weight, and I believe as a commercial vehicle being used for personal uses. The GVW was just over 16,000lbs. And the "do not exceed" stickers the dmv gave me are for 20,000lbs.

fingers still crossed...

Un1mog

Bumping this thread up. I am located in California and was hoping it would be relatively cut and dry to bring a Unimog U500 (2004-2006 model year) in from a different state.

Has anything changed since two or so years ago? I'd rather not have to play the out of state LLC game if it can be brought in without too much of a hassle. It will not be for commercial use, but for personal use only.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks