• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Registering/tags M923 in Texas

blitz10

I have bought a M923 several months ago and now want to get tags for it. I have the US Gov. certificate to obtain title to a vehicle and the SF 97 form. The DVM in Abilene TX told me the SF 97 was no good, I needed a dealer reassignment or Iron Planet needs to title vehicle in their name and sell and title to me. This took over an hour on their part, and several calls to regional office. My understanding is that I have the correct forms. I want to title and tag as FMV. What has been fellow Texans experience in this. I have read in the search and it seems others have got tags/ title with these forms or even a bill of sale. I am hoping they are misinformed, but there are a few trucks around here on the road, most likely from this current selling from Govplanet. Thanks for any info and advice.

William Moore

Abilene TX

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You'll need these two forms: (direct download link)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...q3gAhwumBHDIyh4LQ&sig2=uN6EZVM6VdHW5E3meZGLbg

http://www.txdmv.gov/forms-carriers/doc_download/988-vtr-135-m-former-military-vehicle

Take the SF-97, Reassignment Letter, 130-U (title transfer), and the VTR-135 (FMV registration) to your tax office. If they give you grief about it being a "cargo" truck then have them put it as a "Stake Bed", feel free to bring a photo of it to prove your point. They may require you to get it weighed/inspected for the type to be changed as each tax office is different. If you plan to use the bumper stencil as your license plate then it must already be stenciled on and you must provide a color photo of the vehicle with it visible. If you have any questions feel free to PM me, I have a write up for doing the bumpers here in Texas. Good luck! ;-)

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First of all.....

Welcome aboard :D Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway :driver:

Now that that's been said.....

My best advice is to read and digest the Texas FMV Laws thread linked in my signature block below.
Much research and time was invested in that thread so that many TEXAS FMV LAWS questions would be pre-answered for newcomers. I hope you find it helpful too.

BTW - You're just up the road in Abilene. Do you ever get down to San Angelo?

Best regards,
John

Last edited:

blitz10

Thanks for the info, I will give it a try again.

Never get down to San Angelo. I work for the city, fire dept. On days off I tend to a family ranch, small 1400 acres, or work overtime to pay for hobbies.

Again thanks to both for the info.

blitz10

No luck today at the tax office in Abilene. Won't do a title and tags without dealer reassignment form # 41. No such thing from GovPlanet, that's what the SF 97 is for. Co worker titled his 923 with no problem, but they want him to pay sales tax again and go for a refund from AL or GovPlanet. They tell me the opposite, I don't have to pay sales tax because it has already been paid, if I ever get it titled. No one has consistency in this office. I had the 2 other forms with me, never got to them.

I have a PM to fuzzytoaster, maybe it can get done with help. So frustrating.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No luck today at the tax office in Abilene. Won't do a title and tags without dealer reassignment form # 41. No such thing from GovPlanet, that's what the SF 97 is for. Co worker titled his 923 with no problem, but they want him to pay sales tax again and go for a refund from AL or GovPlanet. They tell me the opposite, I don't have to pay sales tax because it has already been paid, if I ever get it titled. No one has consistency in this office. I had the 2 other forms with me, never got to them.

Blitz:
Are you talking to one of the registration clerks or to the actual County Tax Assessor/Collector? If only a clerk, then schedule an appointment with the ELECTED OFFICIAL in charge of the process - the County Tax Assessor/Collector. If in talking to him/her you are still not satisfied with the answers and resolution insist on a call to Austin for clarification and resolution.

FYI: Since Abilene is actually in TWO counties, here are the appropriate officials:

TAYLOR COUNTY
http://www.taylorcountytexas.org/index.aspx?NID=182
- OR -
http://www.txdmv.gov/tax-assessor-collectors/county-tax-offices/taylor

JONES COUNTY
http://www.co.jones.tx.us/default.aspx?Jones_County/County.Assessor.Collector

Please keep us posted on your progress.

John

Jwade

Supporting Vendor
I can send you Dealer Reassignment form from FL which has worked for other buyers in TX. Who did you speak with that said we couldn't supply the form? PM me your item #. I'll overnight it to you.

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I can send you Dealer Reassignment form from FL which has worked for other buyers in TX. Who did you speak with that said we couldn't supply the form? PM me your item #. I'll overnight it to you.
Jwade has the reassignment form (not white letter) that you'll need to get the title transferred. I pm'd you already. We'll get this knocked out. :mrgreen:

blitz10

Thanks guys for all the help. I have called GovPlanet twice and have been told they only have the form that I have already. Did not get a name of rep. Hopefully it gets done.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I titled and than registered my m931a2 with the sf97 at the denton County tax office last year with no issues. I registered it as a FMV with plates.

Did you attempt to title it or just register it off the sf97?

86m1028

I personally think this is total B.S.
An sf-97 is a GOVERNMENT TITLE !!!!
I had to argue with them & get the supervisor to call AUSTIN when I titled my (2) 5 tons.
After a 20min ordeal I got it straightened out.
On the plus side I only paid tax on what Govliquidation said they paid for them (not 1/10 of what I actually paid for each).
I didn't argue with them on that :) & got my titles & registration.
Now I go in & talk directly with the supervisor & it's a fast friendly transaction.

I did title only on one & title & fmv reg on the other.

P.S. Thanks Jwade for your willingness to help us out.

blitz10

I am going to do FMV plates, never got to show them the forms. The said no to the paperwork and that was that. Hopefully with all the help I have received it will get done with the dealer reassignment from Jwade.

blitz10

I have PM'd Jwade with his offer of getting the correct forms. Hopefully it will satisfy them. At least I held my cool while at the tax office. I deal with the public as a fire Lt for Abilene and wish some of our customers would do the same. Thanks again to all and I will update when it is titled and tagged.

86m1028

When I said I had to "argue" with them, I did it in a respectful manner.
They do reg & title work all day long but most have never done a military vehicle.
They get in a mindset that just because they have never done one doesn't mean that it can't be done.
Most people don't like being taught their job by someone on the other side of the counter.

blitz10

It went well at the tax office today. My M923 is titled and tagged with a military tag. Two trailers were titled and one was tagged for farm use. I want to say thanks to all for the help and to Jwade for sending the papers I needed to appease the tax office.

William Moore---Abilene TX

archmark

And that's why I call ALL the tax office types "wingnuts". There's not a thimble full of intelligence among all of them, even when they've got a computer in front of them telling them what to do. You can't fire 'em and you can't, uh, guess I can't say that any longer since the "Patriot Act"...

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And that's why I call ALL the tax office types "wingnuts". There's not a thimble full of intelligence among all of them, even when they've got a computer in front of them telling them what to do. You can't fire 'em and you can't, uh, guess I can't say that any longer since the "Patriot Act"...
This statement is completely unfair. The clerks have no instruction manual from Austin on how to do these FMV registrations. They do these very infrequently. You have to know EXACTLY how to navigate the RTS software and you can't figure it out without someone showing you.