• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Registration change for Bob?

Lorax

After seeing people "bob" their trucks, has anyone changed their truck registration after the bob? Going to 2 axles instead of 3 on the DMV form, etc? Lowering the weight, etc?

This may be a stupid question, since it involves the DMV, but has anyone had any problems changing their registration?

ida34

This is a sticky situation and I am sure I will ruffle feathers but you asked. If you bob a deuce you have sufficiently changed it from its original configuration that you need to get it retitled as a home built vehicle. This would require inspections and a state issued vin number. I have seen guys that take a camaro body and put it on a blazer frame get in trouble for not having the title in proper order. If you modify the truck past a certain point it is actually a "new" truck made from old parts. This is nitpicky point but if you get the right LEO looking at it you would really have a major problem. Please don't flame me. I am just the messenger. Those that know what I do know that I do know the law as it pertains to this situation. I am more practiced on Michigan law so check with your local DMV to ask what you need to get this thing legal. I have a F350 with a rotted cab. I picked up a good cab and plan to change them. To keep it legal I have to get a new state issued vin. Since the truck did not change substantially except to changed part with the same parts my truck will still be a 91 F350. If I tried to change the vin I would be commiting a felony. If I just drove as is I would get a hassle for having a F150 vin attached to a F350 (unregistered vehicle). If I added a third axle I would need to get it titled and registed with a state issued vin that would show a 2009 built by me. Most states will have similar laws regarding vins and changing vehicles.

Willie G

Background: 30+ years as a cop and prosecutor.... :roll:

That said, I would expect that some old guy driving a MV is pretty low on the list of folks to harass. But as Chuck noted, it only takes one young rookie to give you grief - hopefully his supervisor is nearby to get him straight.

Personally, I wouldn't bother. But that's me. I likely won't be around if you get stopped (and probably wouldn't be much help if I was....).

If it worries you, go ask your local or state LEOs. I don't put much stock in the DMV.

YMMV, as always.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks