• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Registration in TX and the 10k gross weight limit

TXManka

First as far as Texas is concerned GVWR is just that Gross vehicle weight rating and is clearly marked on the data plate, I did a M998 last year that the SF97 was marked "off road use only" and had no issues getting unrestricted registration, (GVWR 7700lb)
The state law regarding GVWR and HMMWV registration is very clear, (this law ONLY applies to the HMMWV) there is no language in the law that I read about the SF97 being marked "off road use only" or not.
While it may be possible to "slip in under the radar" and get unrestricted registration on a HMMWV with a GVWR over 10K I would be concerned that it may fall under review at a later date.
On the other hand I have had many vehicles over the years with antique plates and have never had any issues driving them whenever or wherever I wanted.
FYI...I spoke to the TX DMV in my county (Montgomery) inquiring about registration and she was very familiar with registering HMMWVs. She said as long as I had completed a vehicle inspection and a weight ticket from a certified weigh station, I would be good to register regardless of the original listed GVR.

I don't get my vehicle for a few months so I hope it's as easy as she made it sound.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
FYI...I spoke to the TX DMV in my county (Montgomery) inquiring about registration and she was very familiar with registering HMMWVs. She said as long as I had completed a vehicle inspection and a weight ticket from a certified weigh station, I would be good to register regardless of the original listed GVR.

I don't get my vehicle for a few months so I hope it's as easy as she made it sound.
Nice! It really would be good if it wasn't a struggle.

You know, a struggle to give the state more money. Because we want to tag the trucks and then more money could flow into our economy for insurance - oh and don't forget more money from taxes on fuel. Oh, and don't forget that a twenty something young man can't be without a good stereo and speakers. More money in taxes and revenue.

Seems to me that these evil green monsters could actually contribute more if they quit finding ways to say no.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Shows how different things can be, I did not need ether of those to get a title, I did however have to get it inspected a year later when I got the DuraVee running to get plates.

blutow

Oh, and don't forget that a twenty something young man can't be without a good stereo and speakers.
Resist the urge.... For me, a big part of the cool factor of these vehicles is the raw simplicity. No stereo is going to sound worth a crap in noisey hmmwv anyway. I plan to stick in my airpods for tunes and I'll get the diesel/road noise supression along with it without butchering the truck interior. That said, I see a lot of folks decking these things out trying to turn them into h1 hummers with shiny paint, cushy seats, and nice stereos. Nothing wrong with that if that's what floats your boat.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Resist the urge.... For me, a big part of the cool factor of these vehicles is the raw simplicity. No stereo is going to sound worth a crap in noisey hmmwv anyway. I plan to stick in my airpods for tunes and I'll get the diesel/road noise supression along with it without butchering the truck interior. That said, I see a lot of folks decking these things out trying to turn them into h1 hummers with shiny paint, cushy seats, and nice stereos. Nothing wrong with that if that's what floats your boat.
Well said blutow. I prefer hearing the motor turn and the gears whir myself. I don't do that all day every day either, so earplugs making music might be nice. I would be worried I wouldn't hear an emergency vehicle - so it won't be happening for me.

The comment I made earlier was a little dig at our youngsters who can't go without tunes! :) On the other hand, the best part of the MV hobby is that you can make it as fancy or plain as you want.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks