• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Regulator trouble

k1hb

finally rebuilt my mule, but now regulator gives me grief and stops engine.
replaced magneto.
can someone direct me to the manual page where the regul. is described?
where would i find a new reg?
how would i clean/fix regulator, is this feasible?

need help!

fred

nickd

Regulator? Are you referring to the governor? It is located at the rear of the engine connected to the carburetor by a linkage. If so, start by lubricating the pivot points. If that does not work, remove it from the linkage, remove the 4 screws that hold it to the block. If it is filled with crud, you can spray the inside with degreaser. Next fill the governor with transmission fluid and spin the exposed gear a few times and let it soak over night. Dump out the trans fluid and reinstall the governor on the engine. You may need to adjust the length of the connecting rod to get the engine to run properly.

assuming the engine is properly timed and your carburetor is properly set up, this should cure your problem

k1hb

thank you. i also heard carb cleaner into the gov a few days will clear this. right now it is stuck!
i replaced the magneto, didnt touch timing sequence....so i assume the gov length/linkage should be the same once cleaned out, no?

other help i need badly: mechanic misplaced manual. a page describing timing of the gov or engine!. the carb seems properly set up......where can i download a page or two on this problem? thank you in advance for helping out, nickd, really appreciate it! this is a 3 year rebuild project and i am almost there.....nice marine mule useful around the farm for fun etc.

nickd

If the governor is stuck and will not turn at all, carb cleaner followed by a soaking of oil may loosen it up. If you cannot spin it with your fingers, you may need to replace the governor. Make sure you replace the gasket between the governor and the block or you will have an annoying oil leak. Also, I sent you a pm

papakb

One of the few miracle tools I've found to loosen stuck parts is Kroil. It's advertised as the oil that creeps and it does what it says. I little pricey but so much better than Liquid Wrench or any of the other penetrating oils out there it's easily worth the money. Super stuff!! I discovered it when I was working on my first M37 back in the early '80s and it broke lose every bolt I used it on no matter how bad they looked.

Kurt Lesser

Right Kurt, I belong to several railroad museums and they buy Kroil by the 5 gal bucket. You have never seen STUCK until you try to turn a 1 1/2" nut or bolt that has rusted on for the better part of a century.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks