• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

reliability questions for the deuce

Brianmontesa

I want to make my m35a2 "bulletproof" I plan to pull a trailer up to Alaska in the future.

I am fine will the low top speed, but I don't want any mechanical trouble.

One of you vetrans know anything?

Thanks, Brian.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get a good assortment of tools and learn how to maintain it.
Change engine oil on schedule and make sure your fuel system is clean and free of any rust.
Drive it often and add instrumentation so you know what's happening.

Brianmontesa

Thanks for the help guys!

I have the manual and a bunch of tools, but I have a lot to learn.

The question of reliability comes because when the army has a problem they simply pull the motor and drop in a spare. You could have 100k miles but on 5 engines.

Is it possible to maintain and baby one of these motors for 50k? 100k?

Anyways, I will be researching and working on this truck until I feel it can make a 3,000 mile trip.

Thanks again, Brian.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rember this is a tactical truck. So alot of failures came from hard use. But when the owner is the operator the truck stands alot better chance. Cranetruck has a very good point. Change the oil. And change it often! In everything!! Including the axles and gearboxes. All the wheel bearings are lubed with grease. Make sure they are clean and tight. Most of my failures have been the alternator. They don't seem to last more than two years for me. But i have a daily 88 mile round trip. You don't have to baby it. But running it at max RPM for long periods isn't a good idea. It's like driving your civi car at 100MPH everywhere you go. It just won't last long that way.

Heavysteven

Kind of a loaded question. If you drive your truck often and do your on preventive maintenance you should know your trucks weak points. Some members seem to take a extra everything with them.

I would do the following at a minimum.
New tires tubes flaps
Rebuild the alternator and starter
Drain the fuel verify tank is clean check pump
Check brake drums
Replace all brake hoses
replace all filter, belts, oil, and coolant
pull the raditator and have it pressure tested rebuilt
if batteries are old replace
replace the thermostat
replace the front boots and all axle seals

Good luck:beer:

saddamsnightmare

June 8th, 2010.

:ditto: Recovery 4X4 and Heaveysteven above.

A well maintained M818 should be able to handle 3,000 miles with resonable care, my M35A2 in the icons gonna be tried for at least two 1500 mile trips this month if all works out right. If she survives, I'll report it on here.

Last edited:

chaplain

just my thought.... I am sold on the idea of after market oil and fuel filter adapter kits. I really like these.. JTonka has them for sale as well as other individuals. I plan on buying one as soon as funds allow. my first investement in my deuce.

ps use search thread to find examples of this

I would think about changing the tires to some thing more road friendly .I like the military tires on my trucks but they just don't the miles that other tires get .

digitaldust

TIRES learn about them have extra the tubes will pop as a radial tire will slowly go flat and can easily be fixed . The deuce has tubes and there gone at first sign of a nail. staple . SO know there a killer if not done right........ Take 2 if going over the rocks and trails up there . also it will help to find someone who will work on SPLIT RING wheels I did not say split rim.
The rings are dangerous if not seated they will fly off and kill you fup your trip more then you want to think about .
Learn the Deuce Tires and Rims ! Please ......

ALSO have good air tool you can run from the glad hand to remove the tire , also a bottle jack and jack stand to hold the truck
when changing a outer rear think ... Drive on a " something with the inner set to raise the outers etc thing its easy to Nav a bad rear tire ....

Remember some deuces have Left and right side threads on the lugs look for L or R on the studs

Brianmontesa

I have some coolant leaks to track down and then I am back to daily driving.

Right now the truck is drained and under some serious maintainence
I am curious to see how Mr. Eff Saddam in the Bs' trips go.

Brianmontesa

Yeah, the whole split ring rims is a new one to me. Is there any other option? If not I plan to take two or more spare tires with rims

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have made some long trips in deuces. 1600, 1200, 600. All with different deuces. I keep a top speed of 47MPH. I agree with the others. Tires especially are a weak point. NDC tires cup easily. Higher air pressure with new shocks help. Radials are a very good option. Improved/modified oil filtering system is also a must to increase engine longevity. When the stock generator fails I convert to a delco alternator.2cents

abh3

I seem to have a gift for knocking holes in sidewalls of NDC tires when offroad or even on dirt roads, usually on the front and most lately on Fri. aua

Down here it's usually a chunk of 'lightered' that does the damage but I bet a rock would do the same elsewhere...

Try changing a tire on soft, uneven ground and figure out what you need to do the job easily (as possible) and safely. I use two smallish bottle jacks, some tough lumber and a long breaker-bar with a commercial grade socket. Don't forget something to lay on... 2cents