• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

reliable diesel rebuilders?

FLASHMAN

Hi all... I'm new here, and I'm in the very beginning stages of planning an M1008 project. I plan on a complete frame off restoration, 4L80E add, reman NP205 case, etc... etc... I've already been on the phone with the guy at off road design thanks to the recommendations of many on here as far as the case/tranny adapter, trans controller, and suspension.

What I'm looking for now is a reputable business that will do a rebuild/core exchange on a 6.2 diesel. I've seen a few around, even considered just buying the master rebuild kit and doing it myself. Not sure yet which way I'll go, I've got plenty of experience putting together GM gas engines, but ZERO on diesels. I've seen this dieselfixer dot com guy selling complete drop-in rebuilds for $1700 with core exchange... Does anyone know about him or other reputable, quality rebuilders/sellers???

By the way, Hello all my name is Dave, I'm a USAF vet, and thanks to any and all for any responses or insight you can provide. I've already learned a lot just by lurking and reading...

n1bnc

Hi Dave,

This is a great place to lurk and lots of freely available information. If searching the site brings nothing, the folks here will!

Good luck with the restoration/improvement project!

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have brought diesel stuff to these guys. Phase II Diesel

Phase II Diesel
maps.google.com

186 S Robinson Ave
Newburgh, NY 12550
(845) 569-8771
Get directions

The owner got his mechanic "start" in the US Army, and does alot of work with the local NG armories when they cant figure out a problem with a truck. He does big rigs, civy hummers, anything that uses diesel. I highly reccommend him.

Tanner

You might take a look at a Jasper Engines & Transmissions reman diesel - I used to be a Field Sales rep for them & know FIRST HAND what parts went into their diesels. As always, be aware that if you go the long-block route & install your old inj pump on the engine, you COULD be setting yourself up for issues.

I used to recommend that folks go with the Running Complete version, which was a dressed engine with fuel system installed, and the engines received a hot-run test under full-load before getting shipped. At the time of my working for the company, we were having to junk 80%+ of the 6.5 blocks due to cracks; would guess that the 6.2's might have been in similar situation.

Engines received all new valvetrain components, cranks polished & checked for straightness, cams were reprofiled (if allowed), blocks, cranks, and heads were magnafluxed & tested, etc...

These are REMANUFACTURED, not rebuilt engines - BIG, BIG difference.

I am no longer affiliated in any way with the company, but I know that they did put quality units together - my warranty issues tended to come from poor or improper installations - typically from installers using parts from old engine that were not known to be in good working condition.

I was selling the drop-in Running Completes to the local National Guard repair facility for use in HUMVEE's -

http://www.jasperengines.com/pdf/GM 6.5 Diesel Flyer.pdf

HTH -

'Tanner'

Last edited:

FLASHMAN

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome and the informed replies so far... Keep 'em coming!!! I'm still in the research phase of the project, but the decision has been made, and it's definitely happening.

As an aside, what is everyone's opinion here on a full Cummins 6BT swap? Doable? Ridiculous? Hell yeah???

Thanks again to all...

Tanner

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome and the informed replies so far... Keep 'em coming!!! I'm still in the research phase of the project, but the decision has been made, and it's definitely happening.

As an aside, what is everyone's opinion here on a full Cummins 6BT swap? Doable? Ridiculous? Hell yeah???

Thanks again to all...
6BT might be a doable swap, but it wouldn't really be a M1008 any longer, would it? :wink:

'Tanner'

FLASHMAN

6BT might be a doable swap, but it wouldn't really be a M1008 any longer, would it? :wink:

'Tanner'
True...

I know that this will not make me any friends among the purists here, but to be completely forthright, my intention is not to have a perfectly restored military vehicle. I want to use the 1008 chassis because it's tough as nails, and have a diesel for reliability and relative economy.

My intention is to build a super strong badass plow truck, that can plow snow all winter, haul loads of firewood all summer, and be reliable. From my experience in the service, these trucks are a great platform to start with. So I'm sorry if some here are thinking, "great, another jackass to chop up a perfectly good parade truck..." lol Just trying to be honest.

In all seriousness, I'm not looking to break the bank either, which is why I'll be doing the predominance of the work myself, and more than likely sticking with the 6.2, I just want to gather as much information as possible about all possible avenues... Again thanks for all the replies, and the informational links...

Dave

hobie237

6BT swap would be awesome, but either a) expensive, b) a ton of work or c) both. It will involve a fair amount of custom fabrication. Others have done it, I considered it, but won't be going down that road. A 6.2 (well, I'm planning to replace my 6.2 with a 6.5) with deep gears (the 4.56s should do it, along with the NP208's low range, the only downfall is the crappy gearing of the TH400, which I'm planning to replace) it'll give enough power for pretty much anything. No, I don't really care about originality either.

As for Jasper engines, yeah, they're great. But they're expensive. I've bought and installed their stuff, and yeah, it comes with a great warranty (I think it's 3 year/30,000 miles, but I'd have to check), but for the price, well, it better. If you can afford it, by all means, go that route, but for me, it's not worth the coin.

As for remanufactured/rebuilt, it's up to you how much of a difference it makes. As far as I can remember, in a "remanufactured" engine, all of the items that could wear are replaced without regard to whether they need to be or not. In a "rebuilt" engine, the seals are replaced, but items like cams, rockers, etc., are left if they are within factory spec. I guess it may provide peace of mind to replace that stuff, but if you're just replacing it with something else that is also within factory spec (and could possibly be farther to the outside of the tolerance range), does it really matter? Dunno, that's up to you.

scottc

I have seen a couple chevys with cummins dropped in them. Looks like a lot of work. My 6.2 has always started and run great but if you plan on off roading I think the 6.2 sucks. Just my opinion.

FLASHMAN

I have seen a couple chevys with cummins dropped in them. Looks like a lot of work. My 6.2 has always started and run great but if you plan on off roading I think the 6.2 sucks. Just my opinion.
The most off-roading it'll see is the dirt road that goes to my house, and the dirt road that leads to my lake house in NH... Maybe even a camping trip here and there... Mostly on-road, towing, hauling firewood, with a trailer full of firewood, and the most abusive of activities, plowing... No serious off-roading though...

hobie237

I'd say that the 6.2 with decent gearing is fine for off-roading, and it's fine for plowing, too. Sure, more power would be even better, but you can't win 'em all.

BobM

Depending on how many miles the truck you buy has, you may not NEED a rebuild. My 1008 had only 43,XXX miles on it and is the quietest 6.2 I have ever owned. Remember that these engines are noted for long miles with only the occasional IP and maybe injector rebuilds. Treated with a little respect, your engine should last a long time.
Just MHO.:roll:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I got a parts truck awhile back to pull the drive train and have it rebuilt. I was told the local vo-tech rebuilt engines. Long story short, after gettting the truck I found out they don't. The instructor said they don't teach that anymore because most folks find it is cheaper to just buy a new engine than to rebuild.

Now that my parts truck will become my primary runner after swapping the parts back from my wrecked 1009, I still have this nagging feeling that I need to have the engine/drive train rebuilt.

AJMBLAZER

Croatan Kid's putting a Cummins 6BT in his 1008. It's a great engine but it's a lot of work and really, overpowers the truck. Many folks have done the swap and there is aftermarket support for it.
The power and capability the engine and drivetrain would give you would be more than the frame and suspension is rated for...so it'd sorta be like the guy with the 500hp big block in the half ton truck. Lots of power but if he reefs on it something's going to break.

Personally, I'm happy with the J-code 6.2L. I put a cold air intake on it and Cherry Bombs so it breathes and exhales better and with the taller tires it drives much nicer. OD gear would be great but that'll have to wait. I'd love a turbo as well but I can only do so much.
If I ever really found myself with lots of cash the latest versions of the 6.5L fix ALL the issues the GM and AMG production vehicle engines ever had, issues the boat engines ever had, and cost not a whole lot more than a rebuilt/remanufactured Jasper or other engine would cost. Think state of the art 6.5L engine. Not a Cummins but not a 20-30 year old 6.2L or 6.5L either.