• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Remote air filter box

jag7720

I have been thinking about fabricating a remote filter box for the CUCV.

Essentially what I'd like to make is a unit that is very similar to the Banks Turbo setup but without the turbo.

It would be made out of aluminum and utilize a standard size filter so you could go with a K&N or standard paper filter.

It would have a box that sits on the manifold, a tube that come forward to the remote filter box that uses the cold air intake in the front of the truck.

The second option would be to come forward with the tube to a cone filter and have the tube supported.

Would anyone else be interested in something like this and if so what would you be willing to pay?

laplander

Has been done by guys on ck5(search for koffeecan filter)
Main reason is gaining airflow.
I am still searching for the best setup, (including a hummer style removable snorkel)

AJMBLAZER

Just run a hose from the stock intake to the hole in the radiator support. That's what I did. Worked great.

I have pictures and stuff on here from when I did it last summer.

maritimer

i have been in the process of doing a up a snorkel for my m1009, using the existing air cleaner with a rubber joint on the outlet piped to the front passenger fender then along the side and up the window frame to the roof level. my harley project kinda put it on hold that and its been to damn cold to work outside lol.

jag7720

I would be doing it for several reasons and the main one is higher air flow. The intake on the remote filter and the tube would be larger than the opening in the stock filter setup.

The others are aesthetic... to clean up the top of the engine and engine compartment.... also maybe use a more common air filter.

jag7720

Actually, thinking about it this morning... you could build a new smaller filter box to sit on the manifold and then run a tube forward to the opening on the core support.

Or, to utilize the existing OEM filter and housing you could make an adapter. Cut a larger hole in the lower filter pan slide the adapter out from the inside of the filter pan.

The adapter would need to shift from long oval to circular. Then you could take silicone hoses and fit the tube that goes forward...

I'm liking this idea better as it is less to fabricate and uses the OEM housing.

jmassenga

Your second idea (larger oval hole in stock filter ass'y then a snout to transition to round and a 4" hose up to the knockout) is exactly what the Banks Ram Air system was. Also included a larger single exhaust. Long discontinued, but you can find them used occasionally. I've got the intake part on my truck with a K&N filter. Be aware that you need to use a smaller battery in order to get a hose up to the knockout in the core support.

AJMBLAZER

You can use a stock sized battery. It's a PITA and requires some fab work though. I've got my front battery turned 90 degrees from the orientation it was before and the hose fit by it.

That said the only reason I didn't run a smaller battery first was that I had JUST bought two new Group 31's before that.

allrevup

Spectre.com sold at Autozone among others,has a couple of (affordable) set ups, some with the small intake round housing for GM, TBI very adapatable but will require fabrication to the larger intake manifold opening and 2 hold down wing nuts. Also have seen a universal, dual Ram Air intake similar to the 60's and 70's muscle cars, that could be run if not easally to the front radiator support , defenetlly to the fender opennings. waterprofing may be an issue discusse in other post.

Last edited:

jmassenga

You can use a stock sized battery. It's a PITA and requires some fab work though. I've got my front battery turned 90 degrees from the orientation it was before and the hose fit by it.

That said the only reason I didn't run a smaller battery first was that I had JUST bought two new Group 31's before that.
I stand corrected on the battery. My truck came with smaller civvie batteries, and with the battery all the way to the outside of the tray the hose barely fit past to the inside, so I assumed the larger battery wouldn't work.

CDN-CUCV

I'm close to installing my snorkel set-up, consisting of 3" OD exhaust pipe and various 45's and 90's cut and modified to match the contours of the body, a John Deere particle ejector, a small-arms ammo can, a 3"ID EPDM Hi-temp rubber wet exhaust hose coupling from Trident and a couple rubber duckbills to let water in the system escape. To mount it, I'm using the same threaded rivets that hold the antenna brackets in the pass. side fender and a 12 gauge steel bracket to support the intake pipe, (plus I have some other goodies I'll keep to myself, thanks;-))

The whole unit looks pretty authentic, that's what I was trying to work towards. I'll post some pics when it's further along.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks