• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

remote start system?

seabee mike

I have bought a viper alarm / remote start system and was thinking of adding it to my Blazer. Has anyone here does this yet? Looks easy enough but you never know.

sandcobra164

The only problem I would worry about is making it work with the glow plugs. I see you are located in Nevada which normally has pretty temperate weather so it might work. Here in Georgia, even on a 60 to 70 degree day my glow plugs engage for about 10 seconds or so. Of course once the truck has run and the engine is warm they don't cycle. Is there any kind of delay that you can program into the remote start unit from ignition on to starter engage?

rodent

Most alarms have diesel option of a delay for the glow plugs. The only problem is if it need some throttle to start on cold days.

seabee mike

It gets quite cold in Northern NV. The system is programable up to 45 sec delay. I have never used throttle to start. Until the other day I did not know about pushing the pedal for fast idle. The largest deal is the alarm but when there is ice and snow out I like to get into a warm truck. It has some great features like if it is really cold out it will start every 3 hours to warm up the system and auto shut down. Not that I see a need to use that. What do people do for block heating ? Heat oil or water.?

nyoffroad

It has some great features like if it is really cold out it will start every 3 hours to warm up the system and auto shut down. Not that I see a need to use that. What do people do for block heating ? Heat oil or water.?
That would be a real nice option, I live in Northern NY and don't have any type of block or oil heater and have no trouble starting up at 4AM. Good batteries and glow plugs are a must.

rodent

I was considering an alarm with a remote start and the installer didn't think it would be a problem. He knew about the alternator tach input. I was going to install door lock actuators in the doors and door pin switches so the alarm knows when the doors open. These trucks are pretty easy to steal especially if you haven't changed the locks and ignition since all the CUCV keys are the same and key cut info is easy to find. The other thing I was considering a Ravelco which pretty hard to get around.
http://www.ravelco.com/

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks