• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Remote start

NJDEUCE

Has anyone thought about installing a remote starter in a 900 series truck? I was thinking it would be possible. I'm not sure if there is 24v remote starters, but I have a 12v circuit that I could use to power the unit...and then maybe use a relay that trips with 12v and outputs the 24v. Not sure if those exist, but I don't know why they wouldn't. I'm just thinking out loud here, and would love to hear opinions and thoughts.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They make remote starter buttons to jump the starter. What are we trying to do. I have not had to work on my 939 series starter system yet but the 809 is simple. Turn the thumb screw in to bypass the elect. shut down. Hook one end to starter big lug 24v. The outher you have to find the trip wire that comes out of the wireing harness and goes to starter. It's a small lead and make shure it is not the small ground lead. Hit the button the starter turnes over and if all is good it starts.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He wants to start his truck from inside the house so it will be all warm and toasty. ;-)

With the auto transmission it could be done. You have to find a way to turn on the main switch and then engage the starter circuit.

My personal opinion is that it is a bad idea. To many things to go wrong that a pair of eyes would catch.

Last edited:

Al Harvey

Depending on how it is wired up, the main switch would not have to be turned. It could be set up using a relay to apply the main power. The alarm I had a civy truck was setup using a relay to apply power but after 15min it would shut off if the key was not put in and turned to make the factory power connection or if the brake was applied it shut the relay off. Look at the main switch as an ignition key.

It wouldn't be too hard to do but I do have to agree with Warthog that it probably is not the best idea due to the number of issues that could arise and you not there to witness it or be able to quickly shut it down.

NJDEUCE

Yeah I 100% agree that this would probably cause more problems then it's worth, but it's an intriguing idea. I wish I had a beater truck to fool around with it on. I think it would be pretty neat to start and warm your truck up from inside the house. It would be mighty impressive haha.

Kawgomoo

Banned
Yes it can be done. Easily. Its no different than remote start on any other diesel.

People make a big deal out of the 24v thing, but the truck uses 12v batteries. If you grab the first positive post in the series youll have 12v source. {dont even get me started on jumping a 24v truck witha 12v one}

The real issue with remote start on your truck is tach signal. Remote start needs to know what the cranking rpm and what the catch rpm is. For gassers its simple, since you have a coil you have a pulse signal. Diesel. Not so much. Military diesel with mechanical tach. Even less. Now there are inductive clamps that go around an alternator winding, or piezo sensors that can be attached to the block to listen for rpm change etc etc etc.

But the even realer bigger issue is safety. Remote start on a truck this size, with air brakes and no park position. Is just flat out stupid and irresponsible. You really need to be in the cab when this rig is started. If for whatever reason it ran away, there would be NO stopping it.

Cars, trucks etc with remote start run away. All the time. Ask any stereo installer kid if hes almost been killed by a car with remote start. Once hes done laughing to himself he will tell you YES.

Remember, when power is lost. For any reason, and then reconnected, the remote start will attempt to start the truck. If it first it doesnt succeed it will try three more times. Before quitting the start cycle. These trucks having a battery switch could make that very interesting. You could of course wire around it, but that destroys the very intent of having a battery switch on the dash in the first place. In case of fire, you want to turn the power off NOW. Especially when your ass is 3" above those batteries that may be melting down and spewing hydrogen gas from under your butt.

So like i said. The mechanics of installing a remote start on a m900 is no different than any other vehicle. Maybe even easier. It can be done very inexpensively {under 100 bucks}..but the real question is. why?

Your only saving grace would be a neutral safety switch, and even then youd need to run it inline with a switch on the parking {hand} brake so both conditions MUST be met for the system to engage.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks