• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Remote start

charlesmann

@Weldman
Who is saying not doing a pmcs before throwing it in gear and going somewhere?

What does doing or not doing a pmcs have to do with remote cranking so air is built and eng fluids are coming up to temp?

I too have a cdl as do 10s of 1000s of other people and some dang sure shouldnt have it or a regular DL but dont see the relevance of a cdl to a remote start. People (MV and civi or both, vehicle owners) will either perform or not perform a pmcs with or without a rmt start sys.
I do a daily walk around before the first crank of the day and going somewhere and definitely before long drives or pulling equip. My 936, i ck fluids before starting it or going somewhere since i dont use on a regular basis.

charlesmann

What part is semantic?

I’ll ask it again.
Who said they wouldnt do a pmcs before driving off just bc of a remote start option?

What does doing a pre/post trip have to do with a remote start?

charlesmann

Same as we do on our acft and i do before making a long trip or haul equip. We daily/pmcs/pre-flight in conjunction with the post flt/post-trip at the end of the duty day. All we have to do is wait on a call the next day. I do my pre-trip/pmcs the afternoon/evening before heading out. If i had intentions of having a remote start and the pmcs has already been completed, hit the remote start and carry on with other indoor or other affairs. If it had oil, coolant, xmsn fluid and inflated tires the evening before, it very well should have the same levels the next morning.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All-

This wasn't meant to start a pre-trip/post trip argument.

It was meant as a mental excersize to see if it was POSSIBLE to add a remote start to the truck.

Sometimes we do things to our truck because it's cool to do so.

Does having a remote start mean you won't pre/post trip it? No. Does NOT having a remote start mean you WILL pre/post trip it? Also no.

We are losing sight of the original question: Has anyone ever done this?

Were I to do this, it would literally be for the "cool" factor. Would it change the way I maintain and check my truck? No.

It would be something to show off. No practical reason at all.

Why did I add convoy lights to the truck? No reason but the "cool" factor.

Why do I have "Convoy Ahead/Convoy Follows" signs for the truck? No reason but the cool factor.

Why did I add the stereo/dome light console? The cool factor.

There are very few mods I've done to my 5 ton that have any practical use other than "the cool factor".

You guys are getting so involved worrying about pre and post trips and arguing about it that you forget the reason it would be done.

Not to make the inspections any easier, not to shortcut the process, but for the cool factor.

Could we have a discussion about the technical challenges and results we would have so we can get back to what this site is really for? Passing knowledge and having a little fun with our MVs.

:soapbox:2cents

charlesmann

Ken, the answer to your question, yes a remote start can be installed. If you can find a 24v dc module already on the market, built for mechanical engines.
If not premade, maybe using a 12v unit tapped off a battery to energize the initial signal wire on the pcb solenoid/s or a stand alone 24v solenoid to bypass the pcb till you turn on main batt switch.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ken, the answer to your question, yes a remote start can be installed. If you can find a 24v dc module already on the market, built for mechanical engines.
If not premade, maybe using a 12v unit tapped off a battery to energize the initial signal wire on the pcb solenoid/s or a stand alone 24v solenoid to bypass the pcb till you turn on main batt switch.
Thanks bud!

charlesmann

@kendelrio
I was thinking about the manual xmsn issue not having a neutral safety switch. Since you are smarter than i am with electrical. Could using a limit switch that when the shifter is in the N position, the switch is closed, once out of position, it opens the switch.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@kendelrio
I was thinking about the manual xmsn issue not having a neutral safety switch. Since you are smarter than i am with electrical. Could using a limit switch that when the shifter is in the N position, the switch is closed, once out of position, it opens the switch.
I'm chewing on this and the solutions I've come up with all end up being a PITA to the operator or not feasible. I'm gonna chew on it some more...

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm chewing on this and the solutions I've come up with all end up being a PITA to the operator or not feasible. I'm gonna chew on it some more...
Sometimes what could be, shouldn't be?

Lot of hassle for "kewl factor".......I don't think I would if I could....

Did that make sense?

What if someone did start it, accidently, in gear? I know I know, not damn likely.....but only takes once sometimes for permanent disaster.....

Keep us informed, please?

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes what could be, shouldn't be?

Lot of hassle for "kewl factor".......I don't think I would if I could....

Did that make sense?

What if someone did start it, accidently, in gear? I know I know, not damn likely.....but only takes once sometimes for permanent disaster.....

Keep us informed, please?
Yeah, that's why I'm chewing on the neutral safety. What I've come up with so far involves normally closed switches and pressure plates around the gear shifter or something connected to the parking brake.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, I think a roller lever micro switch down at the base on the side of the shifter could be made to work to sense neutral. Might need to swap on a bigger roller if you can’t get it low enough on the shifter travel.

Csm Davis

Ken are you wanting to put this on your M923? If so it will be easy as buying a 24v system and installing it. You already have neutal safety switch and electrical shutdown. If you want to build it from scratch, I got a guy, Profro, he already has a remote control on his military front winch! He does electronics in his sleep!

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay I'll play ...

M50A2 Deuce 1/2:
Fuel kill is always pushed back in after I stop engine .
Transmission is NEVER left in gear, I often even pull the T-case into neutral, my park brake works excellent .

All that is needed is to spin the starter, not too difficult .

M931A2 5 ton:

Elec.fuel solenoid was removed some years ago because they are notoriously unreliable and there is a fuel shut off t-handle on the dash, so why in blazes would anyone want an elec fuel kill is beyond me .

Fuel kill is always pushed back in after I stop engine .

Trans is in neutral, parking brake is on .

Will it not start if starter is spun ?

A remote Relay can easily control a solenoid .

Junior0415

There are a couple different manufacturers that make them to work on manual transmission vehicles. Compustar is the best one in my opinion. There is a procedure to shut the vehicle down that you have to go thru to enable the remotestart. It isn't uncommon from what mosy do already when they shut off a vehicle with a manual transmission assuming they put it in neutral when they shut it off. It monitors the brake, ebrake, and doors. Once you do it it monitors the doors and if they are opened at any time it causes a fault in the system so you can't remote start it because it assumes it may have been knocked into gear.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks