• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removable Top Question

DXTAC

Does anyone here know if the removable top on a 1009 has any metal supports running across it (left to right)? I am looking to devise a new lift system for removing the top. I would like to drill through the top and add permanent eye bolts in a couple places to allow me to attach a cable/winch lift system but I would like to do it through metal if at all possible. If it does not have any such supports I may just reinforce from the inside with metal channel or something similar?!?!?!?!

The lift system i used last year was okay but was really a 2 person operation and was kind of a PITA!

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

1986Blazerk5

I think it would just tear the eye bolts out since there is no support inside. I saw on here i idea that would work great, He used 4 pieces of 2x4 into the ground with another 2x4 on top so that they are parell and high and wide enough to pull the vehicle under and lift the back up and put a 2x4 across. do the same to the front and drive away. this way the top is off the ground.

edpdx

How about making a rope harness that runs from the garage ceiling over a pulley to the four corners of the top (4 strands). A "J" shaped hook attached to the end of each strand "hooks"under each corner of the top. Unbolt the top. Pry up each corner and break the seal. Slip the hook (3/16"x1" flat steel stock) under each corner of the top. Hoist away. A cleat on the wall thru a wall stud allows you to tie off the rope.

Thats how my dad used to remove the topper off of his Chevy pick-up.

pistonium

I just bought a used blazer top with the factory roof rack option. The rack attaches to the top across the top with two fiberglass rectangular cross section tubes front and back. Three pipes run parallel to the direction of travel between these crossbars. The crossbars are bolted through the fiberglass top in a total of 10 places on each cross bar. Each cross bar is a fiberglass shape that is about 2-3" from front to back and has a flange along the length to bolt through. So that's how the factory made something strong out of the fiberglass top....

I know, need pic's - but it's dark and rainy here now.

If you wanted to lift one by the four corners, I would fiberglass over a small plywood pad (maybe a 6X6" piece of 3/4" ply) on the inside of the top at each corner, and then put an eyebolt through that pad. I've done similar with a jeep top - it worked out great.

jdemaris

Does anyone here know if the removable top on a 1009 has any metal supports running across it (left to right)? ,
No metal inside. I've crushed a few by driving a dozer over them.

A couple of HD eye-bolts with big metal washers on the inside work fine - for lifting points. Put them in the corners where the sides and top meet and not in the middle of the top.

I've had eyehooks on my 83 top for over 20 years and lifted it off and on many times with a backhoe/loader.

If you add the eyebolts I suggest you make a simple lift-bar. Just a length of steel with one center lift point on the top -and outboard lift points on the bottom where it attaches to the top. This way when you lift, the bar pulls straight up on the top lifting points.

If you install eyebolts and just connect to a chain with one lift point - when you lift it will pull sideways on the eyebolts and put excess side-stress on them.

I've lifted many standard fiberglass K5 Blazer tops this way, and also fiberglass Blazer-Chalet and GMC CasaGrande camper bodies that attach to standard K5 Blazers.