• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removal of Injection Pump Pulley Boss

7Dust

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am trying to get injection pump off truck.

I think I have everything undone - but the injection pump pulley boss has to come off.

I have a (harmonic balancer) puller firmly attached to the boss with a screwdriver jammed in behind the puller to keep the pump from turning but I think it is also interfering wiht the puller.
I think am at the limit of breaking something.

Is there a proper way to lock the pump to keep it from turning?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never done one, but, I don't think a puller is needed. I believe the drive gear un bolts and the pump comes off. You removed the 3 bolts holding the pump to the adapter, correct? 2 short bolts, one about 1 o'clock and one outboard, 9 o'clock and the single long bolt on the bottom around 5 o'clock.

7Dust

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never done one, but, I don't think a puller is needed. I believe the drive gear un bolts and the pump comes off. You removed the 3 bolts holding the pump to the adapter, correct? 2 short bolts, one about 1 o'clock and one outboard, 9 o'clock and the single long bolt on the bottom around 5 o'clock.

Correct - I left it in truck to steady the pump while I pulled the boss.

Now, the pump is out of the truck - but the boss is on there.

I have tried heat, Ive broken the (first) puller.

Is there a place to grab the shaft with a wrench or ? to lock the pump while removing the pulley boss?

OR - does someone have a spare injection pump pulley boss they could send my way?

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, the drive on the advance unit. That I do not know. Someone will pipe up and tell you what you need to know. It might help to go to the TM section and browse through the section you are working on. They are free to look at or download.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Page 87 of this manual,

It says after removing the nut, the drive flange SHOULD just pull off. Doesn't say weather a puller is needed or not....

Dumb question, you removed the nut in the center, correct?

7Dust

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Page 87 of this manual,

It says after removing the nut, the drive flange SHOULD just pull off. Doesn't say weather a puller is needed or not....

Dumb question, you removed the nut in the center, correct?
I saw that too.

Yep, this dummy removed the nut!

It doesn't pull of easily and the IP flange is tapered.

First puller broke and the second puller bent.

If I could stop the IP from rotating I might have better luck but this thing not letting go.

7Dust

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe fab up a holder as described in the TM?
I was lookin at that.
Looks like that holder is more for removing the center nut.

Not sure how to adapt that to to remove the pulley boss / flange.
MAYBE I could dril lthe holes bigger in the holder so the puller can reach through it.

I'm also thinking about putting steel plate behind the flanbge and trying to push the flange with longer bolts (bottom out on the plate) instead of pulling it off.

OR I'll find a new flange (haven't found one for sale).

OR I'll cut the shaft off the old pump and drill it out of the flange (PLAN Z)

7Dust

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Solution posted up for next person.

Manufactured plate to slide behind the pulley flange.

Used extra long threaded bolts to push the flange off as they were tightened. Plus- lots of heat.

Two hours later and lots of cuss words, it is off.

Anyone wanna see pictures of my tool? It is attached. Lol.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks