• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Remove fuel tank MEP-016B

Crawdaddy

I need to pull the fuel tank on a MEP-016B to clean all the gunk out of it. The TMs say to pull the frame off the skid, which involves pulling all the various bits bolted to the frame then removing the frame. Looking at it, I think I can unbolt a minimum number of things that are attached to the frame that won't want to move far (air filter box is the one that comes to mind) and slide the whole frame towards the back of the set about an inch which I think will clear the tank. Has anyone tried this?

ETN550

I've pulled frames a dozen times. Remove all the hardware on items that are bolted to the frame but leave all the items hanging. Completely remove the rubber control box vibration isolators on the right side. Leave the left side isolators attached to the box. Unbolt the frame and wiggle it around and it will come off. Reverse for re-assembly. First get the control box situated and re-install the rubber isolators before bolting the frame down.

I can barely get my arm through the tank opening (remove the cap, chain, and retainer) and I have to work my skin around to get it out. If you have a volunteer with a smaller arm then ask them to wipe out the tank. I use paper towels to dry it out then a shop vac with narrow attachment will suck out any loose deposits. This is what I do to get them bone dry and clean. The varnish can stay in.

Crawdaddy

Sounds like a plan. The tank is nearly empty, but I still need to drain it more. My hands and arms are small enough to fit in there so it should be a piece of cake. Pulling the frame even with ETN's instructions are not appealing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks