• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

remove PTO, and replace with WHAT?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you remove the PTO from the transmission on the M37, in the process of converting a w/w to a wo/w truck, what would you replace it with? Is there a cover that goes back over the hole, and where would I get one of these covers?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not familiar with the M37 trans but I'm sure it just takes a standard cover. You sould be able to find one on any transmission of similar size. Any junk yard or trans shop should have what you need.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Forgive the stupid question - I don't have the manual for this truck, I wasn't sure if all trucks had the PTO installed, in case the user decided to install one in the field, or if only the w/w trucks did, like the deuces.

Anyone have a part # for the stock M37 PTO access cover?

Srjeeper

Mike, just use the gasket as a template and make one.

Or go to any truck dealer that installs dump bodies or hydraulic accessories and they should be able to get you one.

They are for the most part kinda standard size, the number of holes differs on some trans..

Check these folks too www.adirondackdodgeparts.com

Last edited:

Jake0147

I don't have a manual either, but if it's six bolts (two on each side, one top and one bottom) then it's probably a standard SAE six bolt pad. If so, they're really nothing special.
Center to center, top bolt to bottom bolt is roughly five and a half inches, and side to side is roughly four and one eighth... Lots of makers out there, but they typically come in this style made of heavier gauge metal, or a lighter gauge that has the outer perimeter rolled up to prevent warping when you bolt it down. Lots of pickup transmissions and transfer cases had them, a local wrecking yard should be able to find a core to snag one off of, or as mentioned, custom vehicle upfitters tend to have a lot of them in the scrap metal heap, or even brand new they're pretty inexpensive.

Attachments

CGarbee

It is a standard SAE six bolt cover. If I don't have one in the yard that you can have, you can snag one off any transmission that has a six bolt cover on it. Stopping by a local truck shop that installs PTO's would also be an easy place to snag one (as someone has mentioned).

Only trucks that came with the winch or other PTO powered equipment had a PTO installed on them, all the rest just had the cover plates installed.

m376x6

Mike, I have a bunch removed from M37s. Email me your address and I'll send one on to you. The best way to mount them is to remove whatever studs are still in the transmission case and use regular 3/8 bolts just long eough to go through the case and either cut a new gasket or use some of the RTV gasket sealer. Make sure to apply some sealer to the threads to prevent oil from weeping through the threads and dripping on the driveway. Not that you don't already have a few active drips everywhere on these trucks. If you should decide to part with your PTO at some point let me and others know. I am needing one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks