• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Remove the Genhead on 002A - Stumped, As Usual

joesco

I have a buyer for my generator head on the MEP-002A that I am parting out. I have searched posts and read through TM34, without any luck. I took the end of the head off and there looks like a key-way is there. I also removed all of the nuts on the end of head that attaches to the engine. Now what???? Can anyone help me here?

Thanks and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all fellow SS Members and their families!!!

Keith_J

You have only disconnected the shell from the engine. Now you have to disconnect the flex plate from the engine's flywheel.

Take the screen off, two bolt-nuts on the bottom. Now in between the fan blades on the flex plate, you have 6-8 pairs of bolts that need removing. Then the engine will come off.

I could help you but Hampstead is a bit of a drive:p

Merry Christmas back at you!

joesco

Thanks Keith, the knowledge that you and others on this forum have acquired continues to amaze me. I guess that is why you are a 3-Star General!

Thanks again!

You have only disconnected the shell from the engine. Now you have to disconnect the flex plate from the engine's flywheel.

Take the screen off, two bolt-nuts on the bottom. Now in between the fan blades on the flex plate, you have 6-8 pairs of bolts that need removing. Then the engine will come off.

I could help you but Hampstead is a bit of a drive:p

Merry Christmas back at you!

storeman

Joe,
Be ready for some scraped knuckles. When I took the head off the 003a I am parting out, it was a real learning experience. I figured the buyer would expect it to be separated but didn't know what it involved.
Jerry

joesco

Why does the military make their equipment so complicated and over-engineered! It just baffles me. I feel for the soldier in the field that needs to work on this old iron! Thanks!

Joe,
Be ready for some scraped knuckles. When I took the head off the 003a I am parting out, it was a real learning experience. I figured the buyer would expect it to be separated but didn't know what it involved.
Jerry

hedgehog69

Gotta agree with those that advise this is a knucklebuster. Slow going...shortstrokes, but not too bad. ONE THING I learned about putting them back together....MARK THE HOLES TO THE EDGE OF THE FLYWHEEL !!! It is really a bitch to try and line up holes after it is butted up.

Keith_J

Poor documentation. On the 002/003, there is a threaded lifting eye stored on the frame near where the jerry can/drum bung adapter is stored. Take the air filter housing off and you will see the hole in the generator case for lifting.

The 003A has a lifting bracket on the valve covers for engine removal. The 002A has a larger lifting eye stored on the frame near the generator lifting eye storage. This threads into the hole on the valve cover. Since the 002 and 003 have the same valve covers, the 003A's engine lifting bracket is attached by these holes.

These are not to be confused with the main set's lifting eye which is bolted between the engine and generator on the aluminum adapter.

There is also a bolt in the frame cross-member to support the flywheel end of the engine when pulling the generator. Also not documented.

Last edited:

storeman

Speaking of the bolt under the flywheel Keith mentioned, assuming you are not lifting the engine, it helps to ensure that bolt is cranked down far enough to support the flywheel and rear of the engine, otherwise , as you loosen the head, the engine drops and causes binding. Mine was not touching its support.

They are over-engineered because they drop these sets from airplanes and when a civvy set hits the ground, it falls apart.

Jerry :beer::beer:

Last edited:

joesco

Poor documentation, sounds like software I was working with in the mid 70's in the Bell System. We called them Undocumented Fixes! Thanks again!

Poor documentation. On the 002/003, there is a threaded lifting eye stored on the frame near where the jerry can/drum bung adapter is stored. Take the air filter housing off and you will see the hole in the generator case for lifting.

The 003A has a lifting bracket on the valve covers for engine removal. The 002A has a larger lifting eye stored on the frame near the generator lifting eye storage. This threads into the hole on the valve cover. Since the 002 and 003 have the same valve covers, the 003A's engine lifting bracket is attached by these holes.

These are not to be confused with the main set's lifting eye which is bolted between the engine and generator on the aluminum adapter.

There is also a bolt in the frame cross-member to support the flywheel end of the engine when pulling the generator. Also not documented.

Keith_J

The TMs are written by committee from information provided by contractors, updated only after multiple signatures and reviews by generals who have not the foggiest clue what they are signing and updated by a documentation clerk in the field.

Still, multiple errors are common in every TM. And the Joes out in the field who find such errors? Sure, they send in the SASE in the back of the TM, it might get corrected in three years :deadhorse:. Sending in the corrections is a lot like wetting your pants while wearing a wetsuit. You get that warm feeling all over but no one notices.aua.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Joe,
Jerry

I knew Jerry, its no fun.

storeman

gimpyrobb

I think I'll take the head off my parts 002a just to see if it can be done easier. I know you have been through it with the 003a and will be reversing the process in the future. Think I would rather disassemble. Merry Christmas!:beer:
Jerry

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks