• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removed the lifting eyes and spreader bars... 280 pounds lighter

Overdrive

I know the LMTV weighs in just a tad under 18,000 pounds so what's a few hundred off the top but I was thinking dead weight is dead weight...

Removed the front lifting eyes behind the cab they weigh 60 pounds each.

Removed the spreader bars just in front of rear wheels they weigh 80-83 pounds each. Small bolt tucked just outside the frame rails on the cross member that holds the spreader (not the frame) you have to loosen to allow them to slide all the way out.

If you attempt be careful those rear spreaders are heavy!

280 pounds nulls out me with a 12 pack of Diet Coke sitting in the truck :)

LMTV_lifting_parts.jpg

Last edited:

dalej

I did that to mine when I got home with it, no need to lug the extra weight around. I was looking at the holes left behind and I'm thinking of some sort of storage boxes that slip into the cavities. I've got some stainless left over from my turret cover that just might work out.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just make sure and put the mounting bolts back in the holes so that you dont get cracks at the holes. Or any kind of bolt that is the same size as the hole.

dalej

When I was thinking about using the truck as a camper, that area was going to be used for potable water. I would make a stainless tank that ran the whole width of the steel box. There is just so much room under the bed of these trucks.

Overdrive

Dalej, that's funny that's what I want to do to the truck. Not exactly a camper but an adventure rig. Have lots of spare gear from my Jeep and commando camper I built. Fresh water and water pump are on the menu.

dalej

We have a nice motor home so my wife can't see us roughing it with the LMTV. Of coarse I said that we could get to places that not to many others could. We had seen so many LMTV spots along rivers in western Idaho.

Last edited:

dalej

When I bought my trailer (the one in my avatar) it had a shelf that was bolted to the top of one of the storage compartments. It had 6 or 8, 3" holes in it, for what reason, I don't know.

I took it out and made a handle for each end, along with covering the 3" holes in the tray. Then I put it in my truck and use it as a pull out tray to store chains, jumper cables etc.

I also have a ladder the length of the storage bay, that is stored in the front compartment. The ladder that comes with the truck, didn't work as good for how I use a ladder.

I think I will end up making a hinging door out of the port side storage compartments end panel and adding a latch. I will then be able to access these compartments from both sides.

_DSF7913.JPG _DSF7916.JPG

Overdrive

dalej,
That is a cool idea! I have an RV ladder I was thinking of trying to fit into one of the now vacant lifting holes.... Maybe start a thread for "storage ideas and modifications."

That little tray you found is pretty slick! All I got with mine is three empty MRE wrappers and two mice nests tucked inside the stake storage pockets.

I am still going thru the batteries trying to bring them back to life before I start tinkering. Can't wait!

OD

Last edited:

aleigh

I thought about removing them, then I just imagined getting stuck some day and having a guy come out in a wrecker, and wanting to lift or pull the truck out of the stuck... either on just one side or one corner. And boy then wouldn't I be kicking myself.

scottmandu

Those lifting points came in very handy for unloading my M1084.

2016-06-29 10.24.34.jpg

I thought about removing them, then I just imagined getting stuck some day and having a guy come out in a wrecker, and wanting to lift or pull the truck out of the stuck... either on just one side or one corner. And boy then wouldn't I be kicking myself.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've thought about trying to make camping / tailgating accessories that plug into the holes, like trailer hitch accessories. You could use both to create a tent/canopy support, or make a camp cook box or grill that hangs from one.

sargentwolf

Im leaving my front ones in for a good reason: I do disaster relief work and can see needing a tie-off point for a rappel line or something. If it can lift a nearly 20k lbs truck, it can hold my fat-ish butt!

I might take out the rear ones though, Cant really see needing the sling loops and cant really use it for a tie-off.

Last edited:

Overdrive

Im leaving my front ones in for a good reason: I do disaster relief work and can see needing a tie-off point for a rappel line or something. If it can lift a nearly 20k lbs truck, it can hold my fat-ish butt!

I might take out the rear ones though, Cant really see needing the sling loops and cant really use it for a tie-off.
That's a pretty slick use for the front lifting eyes... I didn't toss mine just took them off.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine front's are still sitting on the ground. I know that little bit of weight will not gain me much but also removed the brass /steel knuckles that are used to tighten down the front springs for air lift. I would remove the Hyd. cylinders if I can find a fitting to join the two hoses together. My tractor has the two lifting eyes in front of the fifth wheel plate that I will get rid of too. 300 pounds is 300 pounds.

tterbo

I was thinking of doing the same thing. I buy a decent amount of round and square tubing fairly often and usually have to pull a trailer behind my Sierra to get it home. I was thinking of using the old slots from the spreader bars and lifting eyes to hold a removable or slide out tubing rack for the side of the truck. Tubing is typically 18'-24' long and the LMTV is right around 21' so it would be almost perfect. Would make loading, unloading, and strapping really easy too.

Also planning to remove the front suspension compression cylinders, chains, brackets, and hoses since they will never be used and are doing nothing anyway.

sargentwolf

Pulled the rear bars off today. Man, did the noise of them hitting the ground sound like a gun shot...

Think I save em for now and maybe scrap em/fleabay em out in a year if I don't touch them.

Also went through a shallow lake today! Somehow it both cleaned the radiator out AND stopped the brake squealing.

Plus the land owner (owns a paintball park there as well) offered to hire me for next their access road floods. Fuel money AND a free engine wash to boot? Heck yeah!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks