• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing a Turbo

kochevnik

I know this is kind of heresy - but one of my goals is to make the deuce quieter. On another old thread someone posted that they had C & D turbo deuces and then a naturally aspirated one (no turbo) and that one was by far the quietest.

1) How hard / expensive would it be to pull a turbo from a non-turbo deuce (i.e. how is the exhaust/intake plumbing rearranged)

2) How much more black smoke would I get if I did this ?

3) How much quieter is it ?

Someone here must have had experience in this area yes ? Really appreciate any first hand impressions.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having a turbo has advantages, such as a cleaner burn (even if you are not the tree-hugging type) and a bit more grunt/better pull. Even though the turbo was not intended to be on the engine for increased power, you just cannot help it; there will be better power delivery.

I have seen (never driven) the n/a multi and the line of smoke it laid down was..:roll:..impressive. By all means, if you have an original n/a, then leave it that way. De-tuning a turboed multi? Nah.

I have been in/around the turbo multi with the muffler and think that this is the way to go.

cessnatwin

I am getting ready to take a muffler off, it is about a month old and so are the pipes and clamps, and install a turbo kit to mine. It is very quiet without a turbo, not as much power, but very quiet. I can talk in it with my son and not yell. it is an easy job, and one kit just replaces the other.

wb1895

My deuce is a non-turbo. As far as smoke goes.....you dont have to worry about people tailgating you..:-D As far as quiet goes I still have to wear hearing protection in my deuce and I still have to yell at anyone else that is in the truck to have a converstaion.

GoHot229

That would be my first mod, a Napa Muffler on any Deuce I got. I have mine that way now and its quite liveable. I also just got some rubberized spray-coating that I'm going to do the floor and under-dash front of the cab. I'll let the forum know how it comes out as to noise reduction.

dittle

Go to a D turbo and add the muffler if you want to quiet it down. Also people have posted about putting a "foam" insulation on the firewall of their trucks and it helps as well (no personal experience here).

Snarky

Somebody said the NA Deuce was quieter more for it's impressive muffler than it's lack of turbo. Now I'm sure getting rid of a 'C' turbo would quite a deuce down, but 'C' turbos are cool, I'm sure a 'D' turbo-er would trade you.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can tell you that with a D turbo, a muffler, and a hard top, that it is much quieter in the cab. The loudest part now is the gear whine from the tranny and transfercase. Don't get me wrong you can still hear the engine running, but it is possable to talk while driving without yelling. If your goal is to quiet the truck from being heard by others or trying to qiuet it down off road. Then re route the exaust under the truck with a muffler just behind the transfercase. I've tried this before it works well. Then the cooling fan becomes the loudest part.

pjpiche1

I installed a muffler and put Dynomat on my floor and firewall. My engine noise is no longer a problem. The gear noise from tranny and rear end are now the problem. Removing the turbo noise is the least of the harmonic noise issues in these trucks.

usmc320

As ken said, re-route the exhaust to the rear of the truck and add a muffler. That's what was done on my 1st deuce, and it was a lot quieter than my D-turbo one. That being said I wish I had a C-turbo instead and would not change the exhaust at all. I like it loud.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you will be disappointed if you remove the turbo. Try calling Memphis and getting the exhaust for a 427 equipped truck (exits between rear wheels).

Scarecrow1

There is a rubber material that is used to deaden sound in cars and trucks . Its applied to the floor and inside doors and up the fire wall , then a carpet is then added to hide it , I know these trucks leak and there is a fear of trapping moisture on the surface between layers . But this is an option I am going to explore when I get a Deuce to play with.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks