• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

removing bows from troop seating.

Dixmotorpool

trying to put a cover on my deuce. the bows need to be adjusted up about 4 inches so the cover doesn't go down past the tiedowns on the sides...the middle three bows will pull up and out of the troop racks but the corner posts seem to be pinned or fastened... I can't find a picture or a blueprint of what is holding them in....is a C model with dropsides...anyone know how to remove these....these are the composite bows and posts..??

Ugg013

Dixmotorpool:

Things may have changed since back in the day, but ALL the deuce's I've ever seen, the stakes/posts are just supposed to drop in and pull out. Mine refused to come out at 1st, but a lot of silicon spray and weather change helped the problem.

Later & Good Luck
Ugg 8)

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
You don't happen to be one of the unlucky ones with the metal verticle bows? I had a few stuck in my seat verticles that I had to oil and beat to death to remove. They looked to be real tight to begin with,and then rusted together. Otherwise I have a dripside too, and they just drop in.

mangus580

The drop side model has 4 pins holding hte troopseats/bows in. They are one on each corner. they rotate out to release from a retainer clip, then pull toward the center of the truck.

Armada

My dropside bed has the pins on each corner, but my posts were from my regular box. The only difference that I can see is that the standard box metal posts have no hole in the side for the pins on the dropside box to engage and lock them. It's easy enough to add the holes, and I really don't plan on dropping the sides with the troop seats in anyway.

Dixmotorpool

thanks for the comeback....I have the pins that rotate and pull out on each corner...but that doesn't let the corner posts loose..???... they are not wedged in tight, will wiggle around slightly...act like they are pinned some how..???....maybe just need another 50 lbs of verticle pull.??>....will check out again tomorrow..

Dixmotorpool

so how do you adjust the height of the bows, or adjust how far down the side of the truck the cover hangs...????....is it a common practice to block up the vertical bow supports....to adjust the height of the bows....????

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of the wood and 'glass staves are a specific length and bottom out in the troop seat pocket. The steel ones have an external divot on them to set the depth they go in the troop seats. BTW, these in good shape work very well. I've come across a few staves that have 2 pcs of aluminum bolted to them with 2 bolts limiting the depth they go into the troop seat pocket.