• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing cover up paint from ammo crates

alburms311

This seemed to be the best place to ask this. I came across a good deal on some grenade boxes and wanted to know what would be the best way to remove the cover paint from a few I plan to keep for my personal collection, if there is a way. If this is not the appropriate section,mods please move.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pressure wash would do it, but might take off the lettering underneath too. Same for sanding. Same for paint stripper. Any way you do it, I think those markings are lost.

alburms311

Yeah man that what I thought. Booooo. Never hurts to ask the elders though. I tried the sanding already and it was taking it off with the letters. Ill try to get creative a few times but I figure Ill just leave them as they are after I fail a few times.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want them to look new and original, depends on how much work you want to do. But if you want to go all out, here's what would restore it.

Pressure wash the entire crate. It will remove all markings, and make the wood look "new". Let dry. Then lightly sand the entire crate to fix any "wood hair" the pressure washing made, especially on the edges of the wood. Then re-stencil the original markings with black paint.

alburms311

I will probably try that with a few eventually just for kicks and a rainy day(it will add some more for me to keep) but I'm not that in love with them :). All I can make out is "HAND GRENADE" and "GRENADE" on the top. The sides are illegible, the bottom of most of them still has the manufacturer of the box stamp.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks