• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing driveshafts

vbrescueman

Hey guys... I've been reading SS for a while. Got A ? I know that the rear driveshaft can be removed and truck can still be driven on a regular basis... can the front driveshaft ALSO be removed? Thanks for the help.

rizzo

hey ct, have you ever gotten stuck in a entrance off the road where the rear axle holds up the drive and you need to engage front wheels? I've done that with the semi and had to engage the power divider in nice dry weather. I think it ussually a pot hole in a parking lot.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, all the time coming home to the hilly gravel road after a trip on the highway.
Just flip the lever, nobody needs to know that front wheel drive is required now and then. :)
That's why I rather not use freewheeling hubs, kind of embarrassing to have to get out of the mighty military 6x6 and turn the hubs to "lock" for just a little thing.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hey Bjorn, Do you have an axle pulled or the whole rear driveshaft removed? I'm waiting on a front hub to use as a cap for when I remove one of the rear axles.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the interaxle drive shaft removed.

If I couldn't lift the entire bogie with the hydraulic outriggers, re-installing it may be a bit of chore since the flanges will not be aligned after even a short drive.
Lifted, I have more headroom and can rotate the axles as needed.
The air impact speeds up the process also.

Bottom line: Removing a 1/2 shaft is easier.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For our M543A2 and our M35 we remove an axle on the front tandem. We cap the deuce hub with a front axle cap, and for the five ton we have an old axle we torched the axle shaft off the cap and use the cap to cover the hub. It does not do a lot of good to remove the front driveshaft because it is not spinning anything of consequence in the transfer box, and unless you have lockouts, the front gears are still turning anyway.
Regards Marti

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks