• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing fuel tank question

biggus

Is it easier to remove my fuel tank to get to the sending unit by taking off the straps and dropping or, ...loosening the bed and sliding it back.

Aswayze

Has to... Probably.

That said, if it was me, I would just take the bed off. The beds come off of the 880 fairly easily and it sure is easy to get to everything with the bed off of it. On top of all of that, with the 880s reputation for cracked tanks, I tend to thing the less you manhandle the tank the better off you are.

Here's some pics of mine with the bed off:

Attachments

jamieboy

I just dropped mine 2 weeks ago on my 893 ambulance. Of course removing the box not an option as you have on your Pick up. Had to remove the drive shaft and then take the 3 straps loose from the middle of the truck. I did not have to take mine all the way out, just drop it down, but I don't know how I would have gotten to the filler hose to take it loose. Good luck with yours and let us know which way you went. Be careful forcing the straps back thru the holes on top. My thumb got pinched in between the strap and hole. That did not feel good for about 3-4 days!!!!

biggus

What about cutting an access hole in the bed above where the sending unit is located and then fabricating some sort of plate to bolt back down? Keep in mind I am not going to enter the truck in any type of beauty contest in the future, although shouldn't look that bad if done right.
Would save a loy of extra work.

Aswayze

Seriously, taking the bed off is not that much work.

Disconnect the tail lights and the trailer receptical.

Take out the little screws that hold the filler neck in place, tuck the filler neck under the bed so it doesn't hang up on removal.

Remove the bed bolts.

Get a couple of guys and take it off.

That's a lot less work to me than cutting a hole directly above a fuel tank.

FtSill69

If the tank has more than 5 gallons in it, you have a farm tractor and loader or overhead structure and a comealong, lift the bed off. If the tank has less than 5 gallons, drop the tank.
Either way, empty and clean the tank completely. I was able to drop my tank, drain it, and then
use a piece of double #9 wire fence corner brace wire and zip tie strips of towels to mop out
the water, fuel sludge, and rusted metal bits of vent tubing until all of the bottom of the tank was
clean and dry. Used a telescoping inspection mirror and bright small flashlight to verify cleanliness. Dirt, sludge, and moisture damages more fuel pumps than ever wear out.

fallen

I cleaned out the tank to my m886 last week. I loosened up the three straps and was able to move the tank enough to get to the filler hose on top of the tank. Attempting to remove the filler hose with the tank (as a unit) was not practical. I was then able to remove all three straps and lower and remove the tank. I cleaned it out and by passed part of the metal fuel line. I would remove the tank before i would remove the bed. I was able to clean my tank out by using an air powered vacum cleaner. The kind you hook up to an air hose and then use it as a hand held vacuum cleaner. I then put a large piece of heater hose on the suction end of the vacuum cleaner. It seemed to work very well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks