• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing keyed ignition

dennisS

Anybody know where the screw is located that releases the lock assembly in the steering column? Checked the TM's and can't find it anywhere. I am replacing the dimmer and windowwasher switch and have to remove the ignition in order to access those switches. This is a M1010.

Dennis

Wildmax

Hello, dennisS, yes you must remove the steering wheel, then a ring clip on the shaft , remove the steering lock plate. Then the screw in the ignition lock cylinder is accessable. You may do a search and find more info. Good Luck:D

Wildmax

Also check the TM again maybe a different one than you looked at. There is a exploded view of the entire steering column mechanism. I may be mistaken but I think the dimmer switch is located down on the outside of the column and actuated via a small rod.
The window washer switch however is located inside the uppper column , I think.

Crawdaddy

Once you pull the steering wheel off and its lockplate, there should be a torx-headed screw roughly above the centerline of the lock cylinder on the right hand side of the face of the column. It's pretty large in diameter and seems to be made of some very light pot metal, but it pretty durable. I think it's a T15 or T20.

Wildmax

TM 9-2320-289-34P, Figure 127 shows an exploded view with parts identified. Also in TM 9-2320-289-20 , section 8-9 are instructons for steering wheel removal.

dennisS

Thanks guys, I found it, it is a spring clip that is located to the rear of the ignition. I accessed it through a slot and after several minutes it popped loose.

Dennis

Yes, the dimmer switch is located on the outside of the steering column but the actuator housing is a part of the windshield washer switch which is inside the column and you must remove the ignition in order to access it. Nothing is easy.

Last edited:

txmytx_catahoula

That's the same as my M1009. I looked all over that area for a locking screw only to find it was a "spring clip" back in the last slot to the left.

Glad you found it quicker than I did!

Jersey4x4

the columns with the spring clip are the old style used in the 70s and real early 80s. They must have been laying in a warehouse and GM just used them to get rid of them. Most of the 1983 and newer vehicles have the screw holding the lock cylinder in.

dennisS

Hey neighbor...I see your rig everyso often on the east side 8<)
Alex
Well I hope you see me driving around tomorrow. Having hard time getting that ignition to snap back in. Looks like its lined up right but....oh well, done for the night try it tomorrow. Like to see your new rig, give me a call.

Dennis

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks