• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing oil from old shocks

AAVP7

I have four old, worn shocks from a 1987 M998 that I want to trash.

However, overhere, recycling is taken very seriously, so I have to remove the oil from the shocks before I can put the shocks into the scrap metal bin.

My questions:

1) Are Humvee shocks gas-oil shocks, or just oil shocks ?

2) Are there any recommended prcedures on how to remove the oil ?

3) Are there any recommended points where to drill for oil removal ?

I know, a very European question, but maybe some of you can help. Thanks in advance !

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are not gas shocks, not sure where the best place to drill would be.

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have not disassembled one of my humvee shocks, but have cut open other ones. Caution, the shocks are presurized with nitrogen. Drilling a big hole too fast will get you sprayed with oil (think of it like drilling a hole into a can of spray paint). I would drill a small (1-2mm) hole on the far end of the thin section to release the pressure. Once the pressure is gone, drill the hole larger (6-8mm), and pump the shock absorber until all the oil is out.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would take the simple route, and drop them off at a Sears automotive repair shop or at a local mechanic. Let them deal with it.

Local price clubs have auto shops. Sam’s club, BJ’s, Costco, Walmart super center.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mog…

Given the laws in most states are that you can drop off batteries for recycling and you can drop off waste oil for recycling and you can drop off electronics for recycling at local price clubs, why wouldn’t you just drop off the shocks?

Just trying to be your friend and advocate.

The other option is dropping them off at any auto supplier because if they sell the item, by law they should have to dispose of the item legally

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As stated, Believe they are hydraulic not gas. Drill small hole and drain. Pump cyl and collapse several times to get internal oil out.

Tobash, He is across the pond.... in Germany.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would take the simple route, and drop them off at a Sears automotive repair shop or at a local mechanic. Let them deal with it.

Local price clubs have auto shops. Sam’s club, BJ’s, Costco, Walmart super center.
The OP is in Germany, not the U.S.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mog…

Given the laws in most states are that you can drop off batteries for recycling and you can drop off waste oil for recycling and you can drop off electronics for recycling at local price clubs, why wouldn’t you just drop off the shocks?

Just trying to be your friend and advocate.

The other option is dropping them off at any auto supplier because if they sell the item, by law they should have to dispose of the item legally
He is in Germany.
I did not mean to offend you, just thought it was funny you missed that.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks