• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing oil gallery plug

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
I'm in the middle of a turbo install and I'm trying to remove the oil gallery plug. It won't budge and I have rounded the edges trying to remove it. Any suggestions?? Tomorrow I'm going to try to heat the plug and then try to move it with a pipe wrench. If that won't work I guess I'll have to try to drill it and extract it with a easy out. Anybody got any suggestions or stories on how they succeded?

dmetalmiki

How did you strip that plug? what tool were you using? anywaze if you have a decent welder( machine and man!) weld a GOOD hex on there and remove it WHILE STILL HOT!! with a GOOD & good fitting wrench. AND BREAKER BAR>good luck. I did TWO that way!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had issues with the turbo oil return hole. The plug from the NA motor was at a weird angle and a PITA. I later learned that it is 13/16" square, same as a budd thimble. I'll be ready for the next un.

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
Got it! I drilled a hole thru the center, inserted a jigsaw blade, cut it in 4 sections and then loosened it with a hammer and punch.
The turbo is now up and running. I noticed a big difference in low end torque improvement. It seems to top out and be a little more sluggish around 50-55 than before the timing adjustment. Oddly, it seems quieter with no muffler than before with the non turbo exhaust set up.
Overall, I'm glad I converted it.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks