• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing pins from cannon plugs

yolner

I'm referring to the plug that connects the rear harness to the front harness for example. Is there a tool to get the pins out or is there some trick to it? I've been searching the forum, but haven't found a specific thread that shows how one of these comes apart.

The reason I ask is my rear harness is pretty much toast and I'm wondering if I can reuse the trailer plug and the front to rear plug and rebuild the rest of the harness from scratch.

KsM715

There is a tool called a pin puller or pin remover. Most electronic shops will have something that will work.

*edit*. Sorry, it should be a pin insertion/extraction tool.

i would copy the website I found but can't get it to work right on my iPad. Just goggle "cannon plug pin tools". Should take you to some electronic repair type sites.

Last edited:

wilfreeman

Like Jeff said, they did(do) make a tool to push them out and install them - basically a hollow, thin wall punch. I found that I can remove the pins by lubing the rubber with wd40 and using a pair of needle nose pliers to push them out. This was on the fairly large pins of a trailer intervehicular cable, and I did bend the first pin that I tried to push out - I was extra careful and learned from my mistake on the rest. Installing them is easier than removing them using needle nose pliers.

3dAngus

If you purchase a pin extraction tool of the correct size for your pins, be sure to get a metal one. The plastic ones will break, especially if you are inexperienced. It is a delicate procedure, even with the correct tool.

If you use the wrong tool, there is a fairly good chance you will ruin the pin or the pin clip that holds it in place, but especially the plug that has the ring to hold the pins in place.

I would take the plug up to an electronics place and ask for help on that one if you have never done it before. A salesman would not do it. You need a technician who has done it before, over and over.

yolner

Thanks for all the tips guys. The more I read about this the more I'm starting to think it's not such a good idea. Just the removal insertion tools seem to be $150 per set. Right now I'm leaning towards using more modern Deutsch style cannon plugs instead of the old stuff.

Looking at these specifically: http://www.wirecare.com/deutsch-connectors.asp?type=Industrial&series=HDP20&contacts=8

Any particular reason you can think of why those wouldn't work just as well as the old stuff?

yolner

Awesome.

BTW for all those considering doing the same you can crimp deutsch connectors with a harbor freight ratcheting crimper ($10 item #97420) and MSD Ignition 3510 jaw set ($38 on amazon). Makes it much less expensive to get set up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks