• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

removing radio plug in a 1028

MrBouncer

Does anyone have recomendations on how to or not to remove the radio plug under the dash on a 86 1028. I was wanting to use that area for a CB mount and hopefully get rid of that plug or maybe us power from it for the CB.

that1028guy

You will want to check the pins prior to removing it for power, I believe the radios ran on 24v, dont think your CB will like that very much.... Oh, and when you remove it... Disconect the batteries.:beer:

ida34

You might want to look again. I think you are talking about the diagnostic connection for the STE-ICE. Is it the one with several pins and about 2.5 inches round? If it is you can move it but be careful about grounding or shorting the terminals. It connects to several subsystems to provide diagnostic info.

OL AG '89

removing radio plug?

I think you looking at the ste\ice connection. It is about 1.5 in diameter and has a metal screw on connector?
Most radio wiring is done with pinout (male end) rather than the way this connector is configured (female end).
Also the radio connectors for the radio have a twist connector on the back where as this connector is a "screw on" connector.

nopics

Attachments

OL AG '89

No dumb questions unless you ask AFTER you do something.... LOL o.k. I've have asked several hundred DUMB questions in my lifetime......
But if you want to move it for C.B. or other stuff, just disconnect batteries and move away.... ALWAYS, ALWAYS better to take the ZAP out of the equation when working on the vehicle!!
If you don't have access to a ste/ice then just hide it up under the dash..........

bkwudzhom

No wish to hijack the thread HOWEVER. Is there a way to use this plug for diagnostic with out a ste/ice? Jumper wires or current readings of somesort? Or power source even?

OL AG '89

Ste/ice

System(I think) Test Equipment / Internal Combustion Engine

I bought one a couple of months ago, to run some checkup on the M1009, never fired it up.
Its basically the grandfather to the ODB connector on modern vehicles...

google or bing it for a better explanation..... and pictures