• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing rear diff. the easy way

tm america

while working on my new trailer i made i needed to find an easy way to remove the rear diffs without removing the whole axle..This is what i came up with it worked great..I ran a thick peice of angle iron on top of the bed frame rails from side to side. Then attached the snatch block of my come along to the angle. I hooked the come along to one of the cross members put a mounting point on the diff and hooked the cable to it.I was able to lift the diff up and slide it between the axle and the frame cross member.just enough room to get it done.Plus doing it this way it gets you to a safe spot when working the come along. and it can be done with only soldier a....without having to keep getting in and out from under the truck....Shoot i didn't even have to jack the truck up ...:grd:

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Been thinking of welding the spider gears in a spare "chunk" so I could have a locked axle cheap. The stalling point was a good way to swap it out. Might move forward with that idear now, thanks.

Baja Bandit

Been thinking of welding the spider gears in a spare "chunk" so I could have a locked axle cheap. The stalling point was a good way to swap it out. Might move forward with that idear now, thanks.

Welding the spider gears is a cheap locker but will be costly in busted axles.2cents

tm america

i was pulling it to put in a front axle for my friend.i'm emptying out a housing to put back in the hole..i dont need the extra resistance of having the axles and diffs intact on the trailer.Gimpy it worked really nice .simple safe and fast...i say go for it you can always remove the axles and just run the caps off the front to keep the bearings sealed up

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks