• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing, rebuilding, reinstalling Hydraulic Head

rccollin

Ok, I was able to find it. The first time I guess I found the timing, marked tooth, and it only came up about 1/4 inch. Second time I found it and it pulled right out. First time doing it, so it's always a little stressful. Now I know what to look for. Thanks for your help.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think anyone has ever been able to answer that hole question. the main thing is the slot points to the outside of the HH. Your shutoff rod has a small tab on it that fits into that slot and that's how it moves up and down to shut the fuel off.
Never saw the question. The hole is down or bottom side if the control collar.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

I don't think anyone has ever been able to answer that hole question. the main thing is the slot points to the outside of the HH. Your shutoff rod has a small tab on it that fits into that slot and that's how it moves up and down to shut the fuel off.
It's not written in any particular manual, but in the whole wide world I believe the record shows that there is only one hole that really matters...
Never saw the question. The hole is down or bottom side if the control color.

hole.jpg

Radden

This is on a M35a2

Hi, I am having what appears to be an issue with the IP on my M35A2. I parked the truck and came back a week later to start it and it would not start. Electric fuel pump runs. The truck was running flawlessly up to this point. I had pulled the cover off the shutoff and move the lever but it didnt seel to make any difference. From reading through the discussion it seems it may be the hydraulic head??? Anything else I should check prior to attempting to pull the HH??? I have looked from the top side and did not see a timing marker for the Harmonic balancer. Where is it located and is there a scribe mark on the harmonic balance it self to match? Someone mentioned rotating the jackshaft to turn over the engine? Pardon my ignorance but how do you do that and with what? To see the timing marks in the IP do you just look though the inner fender louver? Any help would be greatly appreciated? Thanks, Bob

Last edited:

kennys@wi.rr.com

First pull the plug that's in the top center of the HH. There you will see the plunger. Put a wooden dowel in there and have someone turn the motor over. If the dowel goes up and down that's most likely not your problem. The timing marks you need are all on the gear behind that cover where the shut off is. No need for you to look anywhere else for marks for this job. I just bumped mine over to line up the marks. If you use the jack shaft use a long bar to get in there and turn it. It's all about leverage with the jack shaft.

Radden

Hi,
I removed the plug from the center of the HH. When I look down into it I see a hole 1/16- 1/8" in the center. I put a @3/8" wood dowel that I had at the house. I had a friend crank the engine over. Before even starting to crank it when the on/off switch was on diesel comes pumping out of the center hole running down the sides. With the fuel coming out it was hard to tell if the dowel was moving or not. I am not sure if that was what I was supposed to see or not? Thanks, Bob

Radden

Hi,
I got back to the farm and unplugged the pump and put the wooden dowel in the center hole of the HH and had my friend crank it over. The dowel did not move but a small amount of fuel came out around the dowel while being cranked. What does the dowel not moving indicate? Thanks, Bob

Radden

What is the best way you have found to get the engine rotated to get the timing marks in the HH lined up to pull it? Can you do it by bumping the engine or ?? Are there any external timing marks like on a gas engine harmonic balancer /timing cover to accomplish that or not? In the post I saw it mentioned using the jackshaft. Is that the shaft between the transmission to transfer case? If the HH is stuck where would be a good source for a replacement? Thanks, Bob

roalcoal

Hey guys I found all these pieces in the bottom of the housing broken,IMAG0255.jpg can someone point me in the right direction to finding new parts..any info would help thanks..

turnkey

Great job....The usualy cup or spare parts is not here....A guy at work was rebuilding generator...Before He was ready to fire it up we left a cup of spare parts for him to find...Drove him nuts for 1 day...See you can have fun sometimes.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
With what you have in that pic, I think you would be time and money ahead getting a replacement hydraulic head. You will want to ask about that button as I don't think they come with the head. Yours looks pretty chewed up, I doubt its good anymore.

If you have more questions, feel free to PM your number to me.

roalcoal

I ordered new parts this morning from AMBAC they had everything in stock. Does anyone have a pic of how the button attaches, I didn't get to see how everything was assembled because all my parts were laying in the bottom of the housing. thanks

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
No pics, but looking at the one I have sitting here, the round part(dish?) goes to the bottom of the plunger, then the three finger retaining clip goes on. The round flat part faces down. Does that help?

roalcoal

Yes I think that does help so the concave part of the button goes toward the plunger then the 3 finger retainer clips onto the spring to hold it on ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks