• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing Super Single Tires

randygk

I had seen a picture of a tool for helping remove the deuce wheel/tire from the hub, it looked like a 2 pronged pitch fork. Does anyone have pictures or ideas for similar that will work on the 14.00 X 20 ? I pulled a tire off the M923A1 for the first time and used my Kubota bucket, I just won't have that option on the road.
Thanks

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tire/ wheel forks (pickle fork) work well on solid pavement. Will not work in dirt/soil/sand. I've man handled the super single back on. A little finesse to line it up and pivot it up into place. Get one lug started and finesse it on.

Scrounger

The item you probably saw was an OTC 5096A Easy Lever Wheel Dolly. That tool is only rated for 300 lbs. and doesn’t work well on uneven surfaces. I just use a standard tire bar or a pry bar to move tires off of the hub or stand them up.

droprat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
48" wrecking bar from ur favorite tool place works fine! If your working in dirt use a small 1/4" thick 4"x4" steel plate under tire, so wrecking bar don't dig down.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
2 crow bars. Lock em around each side and drag. I tend to just grab it and rock and roll it off the hub. Like 10 seconds. Just think of it as you are fighting a fat chic for food and shes coming with ya and so it the food

xrut

Hello Randygk. New member here and neighbor in P'ville. I have a friend in the motorpool that could probably get the part # your looking for for the tire puller...

MiseryMachinery

I just got through putting a new set of xzl's on my 5-ton, I removed the lug nuts and then lowered the hub back down back down just a little and wiggled it off pretty easily. Same thing going back on , got wheel lined up on hub then used Jack to lift the the axle back up until the wheel fell into the right place. I got a lot of practice so that made it easier as I went. Also a little trick for reinstalling internal double bead lockers is to get a 1x6 about 30" long stick it in tire then take a floor Jack and open it up. Make yourself some 1' 2x4 to use as spacers and wedge them in between the beads. Remove the floor Jack and the 1x6 then take your bead locker and wrap it with a ratchet strap until it's oval , and then just drop it in. Then just knock the wedges out and it's pretty easy to maneuver the bead locker into place.

randygk

Thanks for the info. I didn't need to remove the bead locker and will be putting the new o ring and lock nuts to use today. Actually once I started playing with the tire it wasn't too bad. Just don't want to get into a situation of cushioning the tire with my body or body parts if it starts to fall. I'm 64 and still want to do things myself, at least for now.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just adjust the jack correct and there is no problem. You walk them off and on reinstall you adjust height so the upper part of the rim just slides on when the tire is cocked in then jack it up more to get the tire on. No tools needed other than jack and lug wrench or just have the old lady do it.

Last edited:

Csm Davis

2 crow bars. Lock em around each side and drag. I tend to just grab it and rock and roll it off the hub. Like 10 seconds. Just think of it as you are fighting a fat chic for food and shes coming with ya and so it the food
I think simp likes healthy girls and big iron, I guess the poor boy is spending to much time around Wreckerman!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Ha! I learned the hard way that some buffets are not all you can eat when they see your date!

The bandit said it right on what you can spot from a big truck

Kvrazelm923

Those tires are fun to work with aren't they, my first one took me about two hours of cussing, wiggling and raising the truck up and down. I have decided that if I ever need to do that again a road side tire guy will be involved

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Those tires are fun to work with aren't they, my first one took me about two hours of cussing, wiggling and raising the truck up and down. I have decided that if I ever need to do that again a road side tire guy will be involved
Not that bad was it? I think it takes me longer to let all the air out of the tire and air it back up than to jack it up, take it off, break it down, new tire put on and beadlock and get it back on. Crowbars are your friend!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Just adjust the jack correct and there is no problem. You walk them off and on reinstall you adjust height so the upper part of the rim just slides on when the tire is cocked in then jack it up more to get the tire on. No tools needed other than jack and lug wrench or just have the old lady do it.
This is the way I do ALL the 5t+ tires.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks