• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing the fan and replacing with electric fans

DrFoster

I'm thinking about replacing the non-clutched fan on the motor with an electric unit that mounts to the radiator in a "puller" fashion. I realize it will free up some HP on the motor, but what I wanted to do is have a thermostat controlled fan pair, instead of a constant running one.

Has anyone done this, and can provide some part resources or sizes? I'll start posting pics here as soon as the project begins.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Checked on it some time ago and found no real problem, but you will need a 60 amp alternator to handle to additional power needed.

Good to see you back! Understand you purchased Jim's deuce. Keep us posted....

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure what CFM the duece fan was rated to pull, but I would say it is "a lot". With that said, you might have problems trying to find electric fans rated to pull that kind of air, unless you are pulling them off of a big truck. And, as Bjorn points out, you will need a bigger alternator to power them.

I read about a test of a Peterbilt that used eight 11" fans to cool the same as the stock engine driven one. Granted, they don't need to run all of the time, but you don't want to be overheating when you come to a stop after a hard pull, or when pulling a hill at a low ground /high engine speed. And the deuce radiator is nowhere near as efficient as a new Peterbilt radiator....

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ernie (Sasquatch Santa) has done it. Do a search for his screen name and you should find it. His bobbed deuce has 3 fans I believe.

Too bad somebody can't figure out a thermostatic fan clutch for these, I like that idea better than electric fans.

One of the better traits of the deuce is it's ability to run without an electrical system. If you have electric fans, that capability is out the window.

rmgill

Squirttruck has an electric fan in his 5 ton. HE carries the parts for the belt driven fan system in his tool box so he can revert if need be on the road.

devilman96

I installed 3 10" fans in mine with a 206 degree thermal switch to a relay, I wanted the 3 because of the AC unit at idle in FL... The switch is on the bottom of the radiator close to the inlet so that its working from what is entering the engine as opposed to being on top where it will always be warm. I have zero drive time but hours of idling on it (which is what you would worry about)... Thus far it works flawlessly and the fans cycle at about 40% on 60% off rate after about 2 hours of idling in 90+ degree weather.

There are pics of the radiator and such on my thread (proably about page 6??) http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=71787

The shroud was heavily modified to fit all 3 but you could proably cram a 10 and 12 in the stock shroud without much issue.

The fans are 12V since I have dual voltage systems... 1200 or so CFM each.... Mutable fans are always better than one for efficiency and its peace of mind for back up in the case of failure.

The sending unit... If you can get to a Napa the Echlin Ign and Elect Systems Illustrated Parts Guide has sending units listed by temp and thread size in the rear of the catalog... The temp is the easy part, finding a thread boss to solder into the radiator was the pain for me ... Most sending units are metric or straight thread sizes as opposed to standard pipe thread... The pipe sizes are the high temp idiot lights or cut off switches so the temp is 220-240. In the end I turned one on the lathe... I HIGHLY recommend using a radiator mounted sending unit as opposed to the generic clamp into the hose jobbers... I used one of those some years ago and it was always an issue with leaking or not working right.

A FAR easier option would be to go with a flex fan or a clutched fan set up... I was looking at this in the beginning but electric was better in the case of my AC...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, what about a dry well in the radiator for the sending unit sensor? Any thoughts?

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
devilman96 said:
I have zero drive time but hours of idling on it (which is what you would worry about)...
Hmmmm, My experience has always been that it was next to impossible to get a deuce up to temperature, even in 90 degree weather, unless it was working a bit. I would not actually have been worried about idling so much, unless I had just pulled a nice long hill.

A clutch fan surely would be the way to go, but it would have to be a big mutha... As with any other vehicle with a fixed fan, the flow through the radiator would be way better if you could disconnect it while at speed. The fixed fan tends to act just like a big spinning "wall", blocking airflow at 55mph. Then again, my deuce always ran better at operating temp, so maybe the "wall effect" is not bad, especially in cooler temps?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks