• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing the oil pressure sensor

darkserra

Anyone have words of wisdom of getting the oil pressure sensor off the top-back of the engine?

I can get to it, but it looks plastic and I don't want to break trying to apply too much force (which I do all too often)

diesel583

There is a special socket made for that. other wise grab it by the metal part and twist. They are hard to hurt if you stay off the plastic, if not they don't cost much

bumble900

Darkserra

I was wondering why you were going to remove the oil pressure sensor.

My 1009 will give me a low oil pressure idiot light under moderate to heavy breaking and while driving down hill. The oil is full and I don't hear any changes in the engines sound when the light is on, so I figured the oil pressure sensor was going bad. So if you run into any tips or tricks on its replacement could you let me know.

Thanks

Mike

darkserra

I plan on removing the oil pressure sensor and replace it with a sensor for an oil gauge I'm installing in the truck.

Unfortunately, my truck isn't equipped with the AOAP valve at the top left of the radiator, so this was the next best place I could find to put in the new sensor.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use the socket that is made for oil senders and it will come out easily.

Why not install a tee and have both the light and mechanical guage?

I used this setup to test an oil pump. I didn't get a picture of the mounted guage.

Parts came from Ace Hardware.

Attachments

darkserra

Warthog,

Thanks for the pics and the advice. Any idea where to get the mystical "oil sender socket"?

I would much rather have a tee and both the light and the gauge. I used a tee setup when I put in the sensor for a water gauge.

Just need to figure out where to mount the gauges :???:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Warthog,

Thanks for the pics and the advice. Any idea where to get the mystical "oil sender socket"?

I would much rather have a tee and both the light and the gauge. I used a tee setup when I put in the sensor for a water gauge.

Just need to figure out where to mount the gauges :???:
Any parts store will have one. Around $8. Lisle #13200

Lisle 13200 - Socket | O'Reilly Auto Parts

I bought mine at Oreilly's along with a new sender. If you get aa new sender make sure you get one for the idiot light.

Ask for a 1984 Chevy K30 w/ Jcode diesel. Switch #S397. $8.49

darkserra

Warhog,

Thanks for the info..got the socket and it worked perfectly. I replaced the sensor while I was in there, used a tee to have both the light and the gauge work.

darkserra

Here's a pic of the tee I put in. I put in the new dummy light sensor on top and the new gauge sensor in from the side due to the tight clearances up against the firewall.

Attachments