• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

removing the steering arm: remove wheel/tire too?

WRMorrison

I found the section in the manual (TM 9-2320-361-34, page 10-36) that details how to remove the steering arm (from the knuckle), but it doesn't say if I need to remove the wheel and tire. Can I just remove the arm while with the truck sitting normally (on all fours)? I know that this is a kingpin axle, but never having one apart before, I don't know if the steering arm provides some sort of support to the knuckle/kingpin bearing.

I need to remove the steering arm (#5 in the attached drawing) in order to reverse-engineer it and design/fabricate an 8" raised arm.

-WRM

Capture1.JPG

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Nope, I would make sure the wheels are straight and then you'll pull a cotter pin from the groove on both ends. Once that is done, back off the LARGE slotted screw and pull the connecting rod off. GTG!

Al Harvey

In theory you could remove the steering arm without removing the wheel because the bushing would still be in the spindle. But I would not recommend this because if that bushing does move or come out, all the weight would probably damage the king pin. I also don't think you could accurately torque it back on. The best bet is to remove the wheel so you don't damage anything.

WRMorrison

That's what I was afraid of, but was hoping that the bushing would stay in there. I've never had the front knuckle apart, so I'm not sure how it all "looks" in there and what's holding everything in. I guess I'll err on the side of caution and remove the wheel & tire.

-WRM

welldigger

I highly recommend taking the wheel off. With the bottom cap on the kingpins the knuckle and top bushing won't go anywhere. However, more than likely you will end up swinging a very large hammer at it. Then you will need to get those 4 cone shaped spacers that are under the 4 nuts out. If its been a while since that steering arm has been removed its going to be a fun job. By fun I mean getting that steering arm off is my most hated part of getting the knuckle off of the axle.

Pb blaster or kroil will be your friend. Copious amounts.

WRMorrison

Thanks for the help folks; I'll likely start this job tomorrow... or at least start the soaking of the tapered bushings.

-WRM