• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Removing the tire from the wheel

AMX

Use a reciprocating saw to cut through the bead i a couple places on each side of the wheel. I have done them pretty fast this way. You can also throw them on a fire and pick up the remains after the fire dies out. I have done that as well.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
10 rims at 50 lbs each (my guesstimate)= 500 pounds

500 X 10 bucks per hundred weight= 50 bucks for scrap

Under optimum conditions it will take you a couple of hours to break down 10 tires.

I don't see the profit margin here.

Maybe you are much younger and spryer than I am.rofl

Some tire disposal facilities have a machine that will mash the rim so the tire just pops off. (saw that on an episode of "Dirty Jobs")

I'd check with them verses the scrapper......they may allow you some money on the disposal fee for the weight of the metal.

Just my thoughts.

Jimma

I agree with wreckerman. [thumbzup] I cant see killing yourself (getting wore out) over giving away some tires or spending a bunch of money to have someone do it for you.. Its just not equitable. Tire shops in my area would break them down for about $10 each but you spend $100 to bring in $50 for scrap.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys are missing the point of the thread. He wants these gone. He isn't doing it for the money.

What gimpy says!

Sometimes you might be money ahead if you find you could give them away. Let someone else dispose/use them in their own way instead of you.

MrArmyAnt

Yeah I have someone that will take the rubber I think. I cut around the rim as close as I could, doesn't look like a tires on there :) We only get 5.50 per 100 here :( Was 6.50 a month ago. The place takes washers and dryers and stuff surely they wont notice the amount of rubber thats left especially with the amount of cast crap I'm dropping. Also the scrap yard isnt near me and my truck gets about the same gas mileage if its hauling 2k vs 2.5k, that .5 pays for gas :p but yes I just want them gooooone. Person who wants rubber cant have wheels in it because they are being used for some sort of track??!

DavidB

I took 16 bare 5 ton rims and rings to scraper this am .Net gain was $218.00 .Broke them down with pneumatic bead breaker slick as snot. Have done the hammer and slam bar in younger days ,for young and dumb. Google bead breaker and one should come up .
DavidB

panshark

WWTSD?

If Tom Sawyer were there, he'd be auctioning off your wheels with bald tires intact to the highest bidder. Think whitewashed fence...and children who have no duece wheel/tire swings under their trees. If you don't do it for yourself, please--think of the children.

jasonjc

I took 16 bare 5 ton rims and rings to scraper this am .Net gain was $218.00 .Broke them down with pneumatic bead breaker slick as snot. Have done the hammer and slam bar in younger days ,for young and dumb. Google bead breaker and one should come up .
DavidB

And here I'm needing 10 5 ton wheels :-( :-(

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would have been happy to pay scrap price for a set of 5 ton rims....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the track wants the rubber , let them deal with it. If not put them on craigslist as tire swings.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please add your State to your location information. This is a site requirement.