• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reo gas m35/44 transmission/sprag help

tms308

I have 50's Gas motor Reo that was bought from the state surplus auction. (drove it home) It has sat for a long time and now I'm looking to get it to running status. In the past I have pushed/pulled/drug it around the property. Since trying to move it to the shop, I found that the gear shifter will not select or go into any gear at all. I believe I have aced up the sprag gear, since Im sure it was pushed and/or pulled while it was in neutral w/o the clutch held down. The clutch moves freely and seems to have good travel, all levers are moving. I have elevated the front axle and can only get the passenger side wheel to rotate forward and no joy on the transmission shifter going into gear. I searched the threads on here and cannot find a resolution. So my question to the experts; what do I need to do to be able to shift/select the gears and how do I "reset" or restore the sprag gear?? which TM will help me go about fixing my situation? thank you in advance and my apologies if this has been covered before (I couldn't find it)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
First I'd pull the spline caps off the front axles and see if the wheels spin. If you pull the caps and they spin I would suspect the Tcase, if they still don't you have other issues.

tms308

So today I pull the spline caps as suggested. the passenger front wheel will rotate 360 in either direction. The driver front wheel will not budge. on both sides the splined axles will rotate freely with the bolts removed and the cap not seated against the hub. The transmission shifter is still stuck in a gear, cannot move it to neutral. the shaft that comes out of the top of transmission case toward the transfer case is extended out approx. two fingers width. I see the linkage that connects to the transfer case, nothing seems bent. would disconnecting the front drive shaft from the front axle allow the sprag to re set? what are/would be my "other issues" as stated above? which manual would help me resolve this? thanks again in advance for your knowledge and help!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, it seems you have multiple issues. To find out why your front wheel will not spin, you'll have to take the hub apart. It could just be the brakes hung up, but I'd want to open(both sides) it up and verify the bearings, seals, brake pads, etc are in good shape(the steer axle is real important to have EVERYTHING working right in). Next, I'd pull the top off the transmission and see how that looks inside. While the top is off, you can check to see if the gates move freely. If they do, the issue is in the trans itself, but I've seen the shifters seize once in a while. Finally, I'll have to look up where the info for your Tcase is. I've never played with a sprage case.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks