• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reo Gasser Ignition Wiring diagrams?!?!?

neil2007

I'm looking for some ignition wiring diagrams to help me get my Gold Comet Gasser in the '53 REO 530B going again. At some point in it's past someone has really messed with the electrical system on this thing and not in a good way.... :evil: You can see some of the evidence in the attached image... I've tried looking through the ss search utility, but all I can find is info on the Multi-fuel.

In order to satisfy the masses I'm including the following picture so you have something to look at while you read the flurry of posts soon to follow! :lol:

From what I can tell, the wire that comes out of the top of the distributor cap goes straight to the + terminal on the second bank of batteries. Unless I'm not following this right, it would only be getting 12 vlts using this connection? When I trace the battery cables in my mind as I remember looking at them, the only thing I'm seeing that gets 24 vlts is the starter and the primer motor for the water pumper in back. Can someone tell me if I'm out in left field on this?

Thanks!

Neil

Attachments

RICE670

That wire shown is not standard. The 24 volt feed to the ignitor come in thru a screw fitting. Someone may have put a 12 volt coil in there . If I remeber right the hole is normally for the tach adapter from the test kit.Standard wiring is 1- 24 volt feed wire(from ignition switch) going to the distributer. Scott

JasonS

The delco M35 and M135 distributors actually used standard 1.5 ohm coils (6V) and a ballast resistor to keep the current reasonable. This is the same as employed on 12V systems.

JDToumanian

Dave Walker has NOS gasser front wiring harnesses... Very reasonable prices. I'd just replace it all. My V-18A/MTQ's wiring looked like yours, so I got a replacement... easier, cheaper.

Dave Walker
760-244-8060

Jon

Barrman

The one listed is a M35A2 harness. It has Packard fittings, 7 pin rear harness connector and is meant for a mulitfuel truck. He needs a harness for a M35 with Douglas fittings and a 6 pin rear harness. (No blinkers)

That being said, I bought one of those M35A2 harnesses myself for my Gasser. I will find and get a 7 pin rear harness and make the truck have blinkers, alternator and all new wires. That is my choice though.

neil2007

Looking to assess....

Hello All!

Maybe I should mention that I'm just trying to get the motor fired up so I can assess the condition of it to help give me a direction as to whether or not to rebuild/repair what's there or go ahead and to a swap to a different engine/trans combo. I've got lines on both a 12v Cummin's, 550 CAT(I've got a line on this, but I'm afraid it's just tooooo big... Would be WAYYY COOL though! :lol: ) or a bigger V8 gas motor of some sort. The conversion to any of the before mentioned does not scare me and is well within the capabilities of my shop.... except for the 550 CAT... Just a tad too heavy. Hell, I don't think it will even fit between the frame rails... but it would have been cool....

I do prefer to keep it in stock form though, but I'd like to hold off on replacing/buying a full harness if there is even the slightest possibility of having to completely go a different direction. Money is at a premium for me right now, so I'm trying to get her going on the cheap...

I'm sure that everything is there... in some form.... but a good basic diagram would help me go along way towards getting this big red tomatoe goin' again!

Thanks and keep the good suggestions coming because eventually I'm gonna need this information... For example, the Packard vs. Douglas fittings on the wiring... good... 6 vs. 7 wires... Excellent! These forums are better than any manual!!! IMHO

Thanks again!

Neil
(Heres another pic to keep everyone reading on! I think I can get this thing runnin' in time for him to be able to actually drive it! )

:D

Attachments

JasonS

Barrman said:
The one listed is a M35A2 harness. It has Packard fittings, 7 pin rear harness connector and is meant for a mulitfuel truck. He needs a harness for a M35 with Douglas fittings and a 6 pin rear harness. (No blinkers)

That being said, I bought one of those M35A2 harnesses myself for my Gasser. I will find and get a 7 pin rear harness and make the truck have blinkers, alternator and all new wires. That is my choice though.
Nope, there is a gas M35 harness on ebay right now. ~5 days left. There are gas M35 harnesses with the 7 pin rear connector.

Crazyguyla

If you can't find a Gasser wiring diagram, here is help with the multi diagram. The wire, #55 I think, that powers the flame heater on the multifuels is the same wire that goes from the power switch to the distributor on the Gasser. I replaced the front harness on my Gasser with a multi fuel harness, and that was the only wire I had to replace.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks