• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

REO M275 truck tractor

johan77

another question, the 275 should arrive next weekend , so the first thing to do is make her al bit more water tight, meaning the soft top should be replaced…now i was wondering if the size of the cab, and so the cover, soft cab is also the same size like the m35a2 cargo truck, thanks to all…..more pics on arrival !!

Monkeyboyarmy

asset-1.jpg

Right. With a 750. Is there any truth to the rumor that I heard that they were mainly non-turbo truck because they hauled fuel tankers? Doesn't sound right to me.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys the LDT engine in deuces came about after 1970, either factory or as retrofit. All the A2 deuces built in the 60's were LD engines. So a deuce that still has a LD engine has nothing to do with fuel trailers.

fasttruck

The typical 5000 gallon military fuel trailer requires a 5 ton tractor to pull it. After the gas jobs went away the M52a2s had turbocharged engines. The M818s didn't send a 931a2 is turbocharged.

johan77

like already told before the turn signal part on the left hand side of the steering column is missing (the cable hanging there should be connected to it according to me) BUT what my next question is that it has on the right hand side on the steering column there is another lever , is this one to assist the brakes on the trailer or the truck when going downhill? or to use it instead of the foot pedal brake , not to overheat that one ? ( i'm not a truck driver 8))
Thanks

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
like already told before the turn signal part on the left hand side of the steering column is missing (the cable hanging there should be connected to it according to me) BUT what my next question is that it has on the right hand side on the steering column there is another lever , is this one to assist the brakes on the trailer or the truck when going downhill? or to use it instead of the foot pedal brake , not to overheat that one ? ( i'm not a truck driver 8))
Thanks
That's the "air brake hand control valve" according to the manual. Also referred to as a trolley valve or Johnson bar. It activates only the trailer brakes.

fasttruck

The "hand applicator valves"principle function is to hold the trailer brakes on so you can release b.v the tractor brakes and then back the tractor under a trailer without it moving back instead of coupling. Using it to "save the brakes" on the tractor is discouraged as.if I can't get it stopped with all 5 axles how can it stop with just 2? The trolley by eskew can also be used to check the brake lights as it will operate them if there is air pressure.

johan77

it finally arrived !!!!! me so happy !!!!! i connected the line to the compressor, it immediatly builds up pressure, but i think there's some valve that doesnt close because when there is air pressure the brakes apply without touching the brake pedal, wich makes it hard to get her rolling, pics will follow later today

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
it finally arrived !!!!! me so happy !!!!! i connected the line to the compressor, it immediatly builds up pressure, but i think there's some valve that doesnt close because when there is air pressure the brakes apply without touching the brake pedal, wich makes it hard to get her rolling, pics will follow later today
This could be the air pack being in need of a rebuild. If it happens after you applied the brakes, it could also be the small drain hole inside the Master Cylinder that is clogging.
Here is some reading: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?136067-Deuce-brakes-locking-up

johan77

P1020427.jpgP1020428.jpgP1020429.jpgP1020430.jpgP1020431.jpgP1020432.jpgP1020433.jpgP1020434.jpgP1020435.jpgP1020436.jpgP1020437.jpg
This could be the air pack being in need of a rebuild. If it happens after you applied the brakes, it could also be the small drain hole inside the Master Cylinder that is clogging.
Here is some reading: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?136067-Deuce-brakes-locking-up
when nothing applied and no brake pedal touched….how higher it builds up the pressure how more the brakes are getting closed, i discovered it accidently when i connected the air line to the compressor and started up, it builds pressure and when driving a bit forward you could feel a serious drag, i stopped the engine, no air was leaking anywhere, but when disconnecting the air line again a little bit from the compressor you could hear all the brakes slowly relaesing and the wheels were spinning freely again
so after cleaning up i wil first check the freeplay and return spring from the pedal, then the tiny hole (or 2 holes) inside the master cilinder wil be checked for clogging.

Last edited:

johan77

hi again,

got a tarp for the truck, used but in much better condition than the present one….and i have a question , why is this lever for? on the outside just in front of the windshield on the driver side....

Attachments

67Beast

hi again,

got a tarp for the truck, used but in much better condition than the present one….and i have a question , why is this lever for? on the outside just in front of the windshield on the driver side....
Used to hold the hood open. It hooks into one of the windshield tie downs on the hood. It keeps a gust of wind from blowing the hood closed on someone who is working under it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks