• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

REO to LDS Transplant

Tavish

Wondering if anyone has removed their REO engine and put in a LDS? Looking for any pointers or issues that may have come up. I have a 1952 Studebaker M35 and that 331 is just not a happy engine. As much as I want to keep it in there, I'm thinking that it's time to repower. Is my thinking correct that the LDS should pretty much be a bolt in process without tons of modifications like with a CAT or Cummins repower?

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The multi-fuel uses an SAE bell housing so if you're REO engine uses an SAE the same diameter then that's a go .

So then it's just a matter of the input shaft in the transmission, is it the same transmission ?

I don't know, but if it is then that's a go, if not you might be able to use the clutch setup off of the REO and make it work, so if all that bolts together then your front motor mounts that's no big deal, if they don't just bolt right up you can pretty easily make something to come off the frame or crossmember and hold the front of that engine up .

Then add diesel .

If you don't like that engine and you have access to a multi-fuel, then pull that thing out and get after it, it'll go in there one way or the other 👍

Cant give you an absolute answer to you question (obviously) but since no one had responded yet I thought I'd give you something to think about .

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is my thinking correct that the LDS should pretty much be a bolt in process without tons of modifications like with a CAT or Cummins repower?
Yes, correct...! It has been done countless times, and not only by the military.

Now, if you were planning to use one of the 5-ton 465LDS engines, your first step would be some modifications to the engine itself - before it can go into a Deuce engine compartment.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agree-disagree.

I've measured RPM in & out.
I can't tell what transmission you have...
AFAIK .85 OD did exist - in the civilian world and way back in time when dinosaurs were alive...)
But fact is that the military has never put anything other than the 0.79 version behind the Multifuel.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe you're thinking about a 5-ton...
No, this is about the M35 and we are talking about the Spicer transmissions for the Deuce, here.

If the OP ends up swapping his "Gold Comet" with a Multi he will have to replace his 3052 (5th direct) with something else, with at least 25% OD.
Easiest would be the Spicer 3053 (or 3053A) and they all have the very same gears (as shown in post #7).

So, let's get back to the original topic, please...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks