• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Repaint the M1008

IGI

Hi, the next summer I'd like to repaint my M1008. I choose the sand/tan color.
I found 3 different types of colors:

US CARC Paint 2K 33303 Sand

US Paint Enamel Alkyd Lusterless 30279 Tan

US Paint Lusterless 30277 Sand

In your opinion what is the most appropriate?

Thank you very much. :) :)

jbolty

depends on the era and the service branch, Army tan and Marine tan are a little different.

My truck is Army and was painted desert storm 1 era tan. The carc substitute 686 tan from Gillespie Paint (rapcoparts.com) was a dead bang match for color and texture.

here is a picture of the truck with the original paint and my jeep painted with the GCI paint from rapco

and a test

Warren Lovell

You might wanna try this paint. It is urethane, easy to mix and shoot, and you can buy it over the internet.

HRF 233 - Desert Tan

If you're gonna spend time prepping your truck for paint, might as well have a paint that will last and actually look good. I did my deuce and M1009 in mil spec paint. The vehilces weren't garaged kept...and faded in a couple years. This FLATZ stuff is nice!

Warren

Warren Lovell

Here is some more info on Kustom Flatz...

After thousands of your requests, you asked for it, and now you've got it. KustomShop introduces Hot Rod Flatz, a pre-flattened ready to spray low-gloss color with the desired 30-degree satin primer appearance. There's no guessing with how much flattener to add; it's already added for you. Just mix at the 4-parts color to 1 part hardener to 1 part reducer ratio and you're ready to spray. Our new urethane system is easier to mix and spray, with much greater durability and chemical resistance. Our gallon kit produces 1 1/2 gallons of sprayable material.

Hot Rod Flatz is a two-component, durable and chemical resistant urethane finish, that provides excellent adhesion to properly prepared steel, aluminum, fiberglass, and oem finishes. HOT ROD FLATZ also contains UV inhibitors to protect your finish from fading and chalking like traditional primers.

Hot Rod Flatz is sold both in kit form and individual components.

Hot Rod Flatz

The photo is my M1009 top painted with this paint.

Attachments

Warren Lovell

On the M1009 Top, I removed the old seam sealer and put in new sealer. M1009 had a little leak from the gap. Makes it look a lot better after you paint it.

Got new weatherstrip for the removable top from LMC TRUCK. The weatherstrip fit nicely. Just remember, you only have one shot at putting the weatherstrip down. The seal for the bed to the top needed to be stretched a bit to fit. Remember that when you install it. You dont wanna stretch it too much.

I first glued in the corner molded pieces. Let it dry, then do the length of the top.

I applied the weatherstrip adhesive, let it dry, then put down wooden popsicle type sticks between the dried glue and the weatherstrip. Its like putting down laminate. Once you position it, its there. Two people make this easier. Have one person hold the weatherstrip up while you place it. Making a straight line is harder than it looks.

In retrospect, doing both ends of the weatherstrip first would eliminate the need to calculate the stretching of the weatherstrip.