• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

repainting the truck, recommendations

bond024

I am going to repaint my truck tan and i was wanting som recommendations on if i need to sand the truck down to the metal or just rough sand the rust spots and primer those spots? Also what kind of paint should i use. I have a real good paint sprayer also. Should I primmer the whole truck too? Your input would be great thanks.

ctmustang

If your paint is cracking and peeling like mine was then I would go to the metal. If not and you only have some spots of surface rust then sand then down and feather the edges and then shoot with red oxide primer. It has the good stuff to take care of any rust left behind and to prevent. As far as sanding the truck go with 1000-1500 grit for a surface sand and then paint whether or not to primer whole truck is up to you. But it's all entirely up to you as to how good you want your truck to look. I sandblasted much of my truck and sanded the heck out of the rest and now have a really nice ride. As for yoour paint you mite try talking to a local body shop and get recommendations there. A lot of us use gillespie or other places that specialize in military colors but still may not be a very long lasting paint. Hope maybe this helps a little these techniques have helped me over the years.
C.T.:wink:

bond024

yea, i was just going to take a hot power washer to get the loose paint off and then take some sand paper to the rust areas and primer it. The guy that I bought the truck from said that there was some paint that is acrylic based or siliconed base or something like that, that was very thick and would fill in the little hole from the areas that i sanded you would hardly even see those spots. I want a nice paint job, but i am also still going to go in the mountains with it so i need something hardy.

dittle

If your truck has CARC on it make sure to wear some PPE as that CARC stuff is hazardous to your health.

3rdmdqm

My truck has CARC and there are places it is peeling off in large sheets, such as the floor of the cab which has a spot that just peeled off and underneath it looks like some type of milky white primer. Exterior CARC is flaking also in some spots. I'm thinking of knocking the big flaking sections off, power washing to get anything loose off and then sanding/feathering edges, priming and repainting. The bed of my truck has rust and I plan on using a decent rust converting primer and then rolling the bed. Seems like others have had good results with the rust converting primer without sanding to metal.