• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Repair or replace this transfer case?

reaper556

Today I go out with plans to drain and replace the fluid in the trans and t-case on a 1008 I have been nursing back to health and I got a nasty surprise from the t-case when I pulled the drain plug. It was empty so I scratch my head and proceed to pump in some ATF only to have it come right back out the bottom :cry: I have crawled around under this truck for a while now and never noticed a quarter sized hole in the bottom of the front half of the case.001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg

My question is foremost what could have caused this and if I can get replacement front half case for around $75 or so would that be a viable option to repair this T-case?

86m1028

Looks like it hit something solid.
I would replace the whole t-case.
Unless that's forklift damage, I'm betting it was driven without fluid (possible internal damage).

Last edited:

MasterSweeper

Today I go out with plans to drain and replace the fluid in the trans and t-case on a 1008 I have been nursing back to health and I got a nasty surprise from the t-case when I pulled the drain plug. It was empty so I scratch my head and proceed to pump in some ATF only to have it come right back out the bottom :cry: I have crawled around under this truck for a while now and never noticed a quarter sized hole in the bottom of the front half of the case.View attachment 580856View attachment 580857View attachment 580858

My question is foremost what could have caused this and if I can get replacement front half case for around $75 or so would that be a viable option to repair this T-case?
To bad your kind of far away, I have a NP 208 you can have cheap,,,

cucvrus

It looks like the front 1/2 of the case. Am I correct? I say it got broken by some Knuckle Head with a loader. Check the drain plug inside is a magnet. Is the magnet free of shrapnel? Be careful and check. Get back to me I have several parts transfer cases. and good transfer cases. Let me know.

reaper556

It looks like the front 1/2 of the case. Am I correct? I say it got broken by some Knuckle Head with a loader. Check the drain plug inside is a magnet. Is the magnet free of shrapnel? Be careful and check. Get back to me I have several parts transfer cases. and good transfer cases. Let me know.
Its actually on the rear half of the case. I peeked at the magnet and it had that metal fur as I would call it, not really big pieces of metal.