• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Repairing a ASK kit

dstang97

Picked up a ASK for my mep002a I noticed some of the insulation is wet and ripped. Has anyone replaced the insulation? It looks exactly like duct insulation. I was thinking of asking a HVAC guy to repair it for me. Any suggestions?

Also is there a place i could buy the clamps to shut the doors?

Isaac-1

I don't know about the MEP-002 ASK, but the MEP-701 uses what I think is Owen 703 fiberboard insulation, held in with a perforated thin metal screen.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If I were to do it, i'd use rubber insulation. I used to work with "Armaflex" brand and it is good.

PeterD

If I were to do it, i'd use rubber insulation. I used to work with "Armaflex" brand and it is good.

I would think that rubber insulation might present a fire hazard, while the fiber board is basically fire proof. I think you can get the fiber board from most any HVAC shop that builds ducts, or perhaps a place that sells HVAC supplies or even maybe Grainger? :-D

derf

Try some automotive insulation. They make stuff that can be stuck or glued to the insides of the panels and it is made to handle operating temps and such.
003 ASK panels are not at all like 701A ASK panels. 003 ASK panels are just thin sheet metal with insulation stuck on the inside. 701A ASK panels are a nice sandwich of insulation encased in a perforated metal housing.

derf

Also, be advised that putting an air cooled thing in a metal box is not always the best thing to do. ASKs offer weather protection and sound deadening but add weight and may cause cooling issues. Many of the electric fans in the 701As I've seen didn't work. I think there may be issues with the 016E/701A Yanmar powered units not getting enough cooling. They're probably OK in most situations but I'd keep a close eye on the temps in very hot or high altitude situations.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks