• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Repairing Manual Hubs on M1008

ultim8gamr

The driver side hub on the front axle of my M1008 will not engage for 4x4, leaving me stranded on the trail a few weekends ago. I have taken the cap off once and noticed that a retaining ring is floating around. I am looking for a writeup or even a TM that can show me the exploded view of the manual hubs and a way to tear down/ rebuild the hub. I would like to go into the repair with some knowledge before just tearing into the hub. If worst comes to worse i will open up the pass side hub and use it as comparison. Also are the hubs on the M1008 D60 30 or 35 spline outers. I am tempted to buy new hubs but would much rather fix what i have. I have searched the TMs unsuccessfully and the forums here looking for any info on the task at hand. any help is appreciated.

CCATLETT1984

they are 30spline outers.
at the top of the cucv forum is a post with all of the TM's

download them all.
I believe that the manual that you need for the diagram is the unit level.

you wont need to get new hubs, all though you might need to get new lock-outs
If you do get the milemarker premium's or warn's.

Swede

I replaced my with warn. i went a little extra by getting the brass centers instead of the plastic. I am soooo glad that I did... plus a little pricey...but lifetime warranty!!!!!!!!!!!!

98hd

You remove the torx or allen bolts to get the cap off. Then there should be a snap ring over the end of the axle shaft. There is also a large snap ring holding the locking hub inside the wheel hub. It can be a pita to get out until you get used to it. Once you have that out, the locking hub can be removed.

There is an inside ring and an outside ring. The outside ring engages the hub, the inside the axle shaft. Then turn the ring and they spline to each other and it's locked.

If the cap comes off and the spring on the cap is not captive in the cap, that can cause a problem. I had one that someone had done that to, and it wouldn't engage. It wasn't easy to get the cap assembled back together, but once I did it has worked fine ever since.

ultim8gamr

98hd said:
You remove the torx or allen bolts to get the cap off. Then there should be a snap ring over the end of the axle shaft. There is also a large snap ring holding the locking hub inside the wheel hub. It can be a pita to get out until you get used to it. Once you have that out, the locking hub can be removed.

There is an inside ring and an outside ring. The outside ring engages the hub, the inside the axle shaft. Then turn the ring and they spline to each other and it's locked.
I had taken the cap off and thats when i noticed a snap ring that fell out. I am assuming this is the outer ring and it seems to be giving me the problem that you mentioned it controls (locking the hubs). I have a feeling this is the culprit i was just looking for a detailed view to find out exactly where to put it back.
i will look through the TMs once more. I have been through them and seen the brief diagram and parts list, but havent found any in depth info..

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The inside ring is about 1.5" in diameter, the outer is about 4", so it's easy to tell the difference. If the inner snap ring came off the axle, it might prohibit the hub from engaging, because it will allow the axle to push in slightly, although it still may be able to engage (I've never tried it).

Did you operate the lockout off the truck to make sure that the inner portion moves in toward the hub when you turn it from free to lock? I had one that would not move in, even under the spring pressure, because the grease had become so dry and sticky from the military not using them, that it glued the mechanism open in the "free" position.

K10A

Warn Premium hubs are not worth the $$ they are not really brass, it is painted pot metal.check out the pirate 4x4 tech pages for all the D60 info you ever wanted.

byrnestree

Warm premium locking hubs

Warn Premium hubs are not worth the $$ they are not really brass, it is painted pot metal.check out the pirate 4x4 tech pages for all the D60 info you ever wanted.
IM NEW to the forums, but can anyone help me out. i bought the replacement warm premium hubs for my 86 cucvm1008. are they supposed to simply slide on over the axle shaft or does it require alot of force? i dont want to hammer them on and hope for the best. if anyone can message me or write to me i would gladly appreciate it. :doghead:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks