• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reparing vacuum wipers

jatonka

I put a little Marvel air tool oil in 2 wiper motors on my M50A2 water tanker and they never moved again. I have taken many apart since then, cleaned them and re smeared the red grease that was in them back on the o-rings on the piston and they have all worked better than they did when I took them apart. I really wish I could find out exactly what that red grease is and where to get it. I don't think it is regular petroleum based grease but I just don't know. I have upgraded 2 of my favorite trucks to the M35A3 electric wiper kit and I really like them. Wish I could find more of them. JT out

Last edited:

daithi

I just dealt with this over the weekend. I took the plastic wiper off the deuce and removed the side cap. There was a gasket. I wiped off all the surfaces and blew compressed air through the end cap. On mine, what was blocked was the air return tube. Or at least that is what it looks like to me. Its the bent tube that is a drain or excess bleed off. I added a bit of oil and put it back together. After installing it, it of course did not work. BUT all I can say is CRANK it up and it eventually got moving. try forcing it a bit, but what finally got it to work was turning the air WAY up, a little puff of dirt and voila it works great, not as good as my metal one (having one of each of course). I didnt need to break anything it take it apart, for what its worth.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Digging up an old thread here.

I have the plastic air pressure wiper motors. I did the recommended PM with air tool oil, which led to one wiper motor freezing solid. I mean solid, where I am afraid to apply any more force to the manual lever so not to break it. It won't budge.

I think that the plastic motors do not benefit from any petroleum oil; I think the rubber O-ring around the piston swells up and locks the piston in place.

Has anyone attempted to remove the wiper shaft from the plastic ones to be used in a metal one? I have a set of metals ones that appear to fit, but their axle shaft is different (threaded shaft and square flats at the end).

jatonka

I think you have hit it on the head, these wiper motors do not benefit from air tool oil. I have ruined 2 wiper motors by putting air tool oil in them. They all come new with a red grease in them that I am almost certain is not a petroleum based grease. When I take them apart now to clean and service them, I salvage the grease that was in them and coat the cups with it lightly, and I have had good results......John T

onegmjack

After the oil swelled up my o-rings,I went to NAPA but all they had was to thin.I went to
O'Reilly and the one they had were the right size.Not perfect but they both work. Adding oil
don't agree with the o-rings.

rlwm211

I spray "PURE" Silicone lubricant into the air line ahead of my wiper motors. The silicone does not react with the rubber components and it serves to lubricate the o-rings in the motors nicely. Be careful as some "silicone" lubbricant contains some pertroleum components and that is what we want to avoid.

I had to take one of mine apart when I bought my truck and clean it. it had some gunk inside. I prelubed the assembly with silicone and put it together and have had no problems.

Another caution is that a little goes a long way here and it is far better to add a small amount three or four times a year than to apply a huge dose and have most of it come out of the exhaust port instead of doing some good.

If someone can tell me that this is the wrong way to help keep the wiper motors working, I am willing to listen, but for now, this works for me.

Just my two cents.

RL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks