• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replace oil pan gasket with everything in place?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone replaced the oil pan gasket on an LMTV, with everything in place (e.g. without pulling the engine, axle, etc.)? It looks like there should be enough room, but I'd feel more comfortable getting confirmation before I get it drained and unbolted only to find it can't be done for some reason.

Thanks!

coachgeo

Maybe you saw it all ready but if not ..... remembered that this topic was hit on not long ago so did an Advanced Google search of this site for Pan Gasket FMTV. Sure enough below popped up. Additional trick when doing this kind of search is to sort results to within "last year" to weed out potential out of date information in old threads. Hope any of this helps

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?159710-Lmtv-oil-pan-r-amp-r

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, it always seems like when I search I am just a couple words off (e.g. I search for "oil pan lmtv" vs "pan gasket fmtv", so I get different results).

coachgeo

Thanks, it always seems like when I search I am just a couple words off (e.g. I search for "oil pan lmtv" vs "pan gasket fmtv", so I get different results).
Have not figured out how to get Advances Google search to search just one particular sub forum on a website. Seems you can only use the root web address such as Site:benzworld,org instead of site:benzworld,org/forums/unimog . Thus used "FMTV" as a search term to trick the Advanced Google search of SS website to search mostly in the FMTV forum. Sometimes if feels like searching is a Black Art

Last edited:

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With almost a minute delay required between searches, I hesitate to wish that on anyone. To the OP, yes, you can remove/replace oil pan with 'minor' inconvenience. Chose whether you want to deal with draining the trans fluid, or the coolant (or whichever one you need to drain anyway) and follow that other thread that Coach gave above.

Black art! Russian roulette?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It turns out that what I was thinking was a leaking oil pan gasket is actually a crack in the back corner of the block. I just can't win.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wholly crap. How bad is the leak? If you can get it clean (oil free) and is in a non stress point and small enough, also not under pressure. A skilled tig welder may be able to seal it if cast iron. If cast steel, easy day. If the weld won't hold, then it will need to be brazed with a pre heat and slow cool. Jb weld first if not under pressure, sometimes the easiest fix works. Just clean, clean, clean then clean some more, warm it with a heat gun and clean some more. When it's clean enough to eat off clean it twice more, then the jb weld will have a better shot at working. If you can access the crack from the inside clean and black rtv it as well

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm pretty sure the block is cast iron. Here's a picture of the leak (this is on the passenger side, where the block, oil pan, and bellhousing meet).
CrackedBlock.jpg

coachgeo

I'm pretty sure the block is cast iron. Here's a picture of the leak (this is on the passenger side, where the block, oil pan, and bellhousing meet).... pic...
hmmm... before you decide for sure it is the block clean the shiat out of it and use one of the ultraviolet leak kits to verify.

With almost a minute delay required between searches, I hesitate to wish that on anyone. .... Black art! Russian roulette?
Sorry my bad. was not referring to Advanced search found on this site which does have that royal PITA delay.....was referring to Google Advanced search. Much faster and you can then sort the results using Search Tools / Anytime. Here is the generic search string for that in Chrome or in google search text box site:Site2beSearched(dot)com each, search keyword(s), "search phrase"

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks