• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replace or Re-use the Connecting rod bolts

Misdemeanor

I am in the process of rebuilding my L134. Got it back from the machinist and I'm getting ready to put it back together. I am debating if the Connecting Rod bolts, nuts and lock nuts should be replaced. I am thinking there is no need. These are low compression over built engines but I thought I would ask some of the more experienced rebuilders out there and see what the standard practice is.

I noticed the threads on the piston pin lock bolts are distorted after take out. I will replace those. I'm not sure how they got chewed up but the eternal treads on the rod seem fine. Maybe that should be a separate post. Has anyone had that same experience when backing out the pin locking bolts?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would replace them, even if they look okay. Old engine bolts that have any strain on them for decades, regardless of how nice they look, have internal stress that may not be evident by eyeballing them. Plus, your engine is apart now - wouldn't it be easiest to replace these fairly inexpensive parts now, while it's all apart?

steelypip

The only gotcha I'd add to using new rod bolts is to is either a) make sure that you source your new bolts from a source known (not just reputed - everybody offshores these days or has flirted with it in the past) to have good QC, or b) measure bolt stretch on each rod bolt as you tighten to spec torque. The most common problem with counterfeit or poor QC rod bolts is inadequate or inconsistent hardening, and this is easily identified with excessive bolt stretch.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replace the rod bolts. You will also need to get the rods resized when you install new rod bolts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks