• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

replaced flywheel and torque converter.... new noise when i shift between gears

84cucv1ton

finally did my flywheel and torque converter today in my driveway took me 3 hours start to finish... took forever! anyway new noise when i shift between gears r ,d to park.. there is a clunk.. go into drive there is a much louder metal to metal clunk.. .. i looked all over didnt see anything.. runs and drives great..any ideas? thanks

Matt65

Check the condition of your transmission mount. I have several engine, trans, body, etc. rubber mounts that are shot. Most of the rubber has broken down to the point that it does very little to dampen anymore.

Matt65

I get that on my m1028. The clank i get is from the rotation slop in my drive shaft.
This was an initial concern of mine as well when I got my 1008. I originally thought it was a problem. I know this may not apply to the Gov Lock, but does on the Detroit locker. The lower the diff gear, the more shaft rotation you will have before the wheels turn.

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/Products...t/Differentials/FAQforDifferentials/index.htm

"When I step on and off the gas pedal, I hear the unit make a “clunking” noise. Why?

Because Detroit Lockers have “backlash” or “slack” between the drive and driven teeth and you will hear this in everyday use going through corners and when going from drive mode to coast mode. Also with the vehicle on the ground and the transmission in neutral you will have 1\4 to 1\3rd of a turn of lash in the driveshaft, this is completely normal."

grayw0lf

Did you check the u-joints in Neutral? I've often them to seem nice in tight when in Park, put it in Neutral & you'll find the slop & wobble.

Terracoma

"Also with the vehicle on the ground and the transmission in neutral you will have 1\4 to 1\3rd of a turn of lash in the driveshaft, this is completely normal."
I was really concerned about the ~1/4" of slop in the yoke of the rear axle on my parts truck.

Good to know that it's normal!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks